Do I Need to Lose Weight Before I Have a Tummy Tuck?

Losing weight prior to tummy tuck

+1

IT is in your best interests to lose weight prior to a tummy tuck for several reasons which include both medical and cosmetic benefits of being closer to your ideal body weght.

Losing weight before a tummy tuck may or may not be necessary

+1

Choosing whether or not to lose weight before a tummy tuck all depends on how you look now and the appearance you want to acheive.  Liposuction of the hips is commonly performed with a tummy tuck.  However, if extensive liposuction is required for the upper part of the abdomen or hips and thighs it may be better to wait about 3 months between the tummy tuck and liposuction.  Losing weight before a tummy tuck can only benefit you.  This will most likely allow more skin to be removed during the procedure giving you an overall better result.  Also, losing weight with diet and exercise will contribute to a healthier lifestyle and help you maintain your tummy tuck results longer.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD

Weight loss before tummy tuck

+1

Patients often tell me that they want or are planning to lose weight before surgery.  My response is usually on the order of "then why are you here now?"  Weight loss will change your body and therefore change the surgical plan.  So if you want to lose weight do it and have your consultation after.  If you don't want to lose weight than go ahead with the surgery.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss or not before Tummy Tuck

+1

The absolute BEST Tummy Tuck results are seen in people who are not obese. The closer a woman comes to her ideal weight, the nicer the results and the lower the risk of surgical complications.

Tummy Tuck and Ideal Body Weight

+1

I dont have my patients be at an ideal body weight, because quite frankly, not many people are at their "Ideal" weight.  As long as you are stable at your weight and are not planning on undergoing any weight loss, then I would consider you a good candidate.  Also you have to be in good health.  Many patients are slightly overweight but do not want to lose any weight or are unable to and are stable at the weight they are. 

As long as you are healthy and in good physical shape, then a tummy tuck can be an option.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Lose weight before Tummy Tuck

+1

Since an abdominoplasty tightens the skin over any fat on the abdomen and the procedure must be blended into the flanks, you should lose weight to whatever weight you can maintain. If you lose weight after the tummy tuck, the skin of the abdomen may become loose and your flanks may no longer match the rest of you.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before a tummy tuck

+1

In general what I recommend to patients is if you are planning to lose a significant amount of weight, do so before having the tummy tuck.  If however, you only plan on losing 5 or 10 lbs, it probably won't make a difference in your final result-- so it really depends on you, your body, and how much weight loss you're thinking of.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Maybe

+1

What do you weigh? Go find a BMI chart and put in your height and weight. If you are over 30 -  you need to lose weight first. If you are your ideal weight then a tt is good.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Ideal weight for tummy tuck surgery reduces risk

+1

The weight question is a sensitive issue for some, but the reason why it is important is that overweight patients are at higher risk for surgical complications, some of which can be serious or even life-threatening. Since a tummy tuck is a purely elective procedure, there is really no justification for taking unnecessary risks. Most plastic surgeons will insist that the patient be within about 10% or so of ideal body weight, The results will be better in the long run too.

Richard Baxter, MD