Do I Have to Loose Weight to Get a Tummy Tuck?

i am 230pound i am 21years old i have two kids and don't plan on having anymore and am seriously considering a tummy tuck but i don't know if there are weight requirements

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+1

For you to get a result that you will be happy with, it is important for you to lose some weight and stay on a consistent program of diet and exercise.  A tummy tuck is not a solution for weight loss and doesn't prevent weight gain. I would hate for you to undergo a tummy tuck and be dissatisfied with your result or worse yet, suffer a complication related to weight such as wound opening, tissue death, or potentially a fatal blood clot.

Tommy Talk and Weight Loss?

+1

It would be in your best interest to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. Plan on maintaining this stable weight after surgery as well. Reaching the stable weight prior to surgery will increase the safety of the procedure  and decrease the chances that further surgery will be necessary in the event of further weight loss after the procedure.

Weight loss and a tummy tuck

+1

For a tummy tuck as well as other body contouring procedures, it is best to be at or near your ideal or realistic weight as the results will be better. Patients over a certain BMI (body mass index) which relates weight and height do have a higher incidence of complications some of which can be more major.

Without photos and other information, it is impossible to determine what if any procedure that you would need or benefit from at the present time.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Do I Have to Loose Weight to Get a Tummy Tuck?Answer:

+1

When we talk about weight loss and surgery many times we use the BMI scale, because it has been shown that complications both large and small happen much more with a BMI >30. That means for a woman 5'5" she would need to weigh 180 lb. or less. Safety is the most important so I would have that as my goal!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Weight for tummy tuck

+1

As far as losing weight prior to surgery the closer to your ideal body weight the better,however as we all know the ideal is often different than the reality. There are no photos of your abdomen. If you had surgery today then lost a lot of weight it would compromise the final result however if you at not at your ideal weight it is often possible to have surgery if your weight is stable.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Need to Lose Weight Before Tummy Tuck?

+1

Based on the information available, you should consider a supervised weight loss program (dietary changes + exercise) with a goal of 1-2 pounds per week. By this time next year, you will be much better off and if you still need a tummy tuck, you will have much better results. Ask your primary care doctor for advice. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

+1

You do not need to be at your "ideal"  weight before having a tummy tuck but the closer you are, the safer your proceedure will be and the better your results.  It is important to develop a life style that will keep you at a healthy body weight.  That will give you more energy and allow you to enjoy the results of your plastic surgery for years to come.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Weight loss before a tummy tuck

+1

Here is what I tell my patients:

If you plan to lose weight, take a 3 month trial and do the best you can. At the end of the three months return to see me. At that time you

a. will have been successful and will want to continue or go right to tummy tuck

b. partially successful and will want to continue or go to a tummy tuck

c. have not lost any weight and go to a tummy tuck.

the best way is "a" because  it will give you the best result overall with the least weight related complications

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+1
There are no weight requirements for tummy tuck, per se. However, it is certainly advisable that you reach and maintain a weight with which you are comfortable for at least six months prior to surgery. If you lose weight after the operation, you will have sagging of the skin and will probably require a revision thereafter. When someone is overweight, there is also concern as to cardiac status, hypertension, diabetes, etc. All abdominoplasty patients in my practice are required to undergo pre-operative testing to rule out any such problems.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Your Tummy Tuck Result Will Be Best At Ideal Weight

+1

Although it is possible for you to have a tummy tuck now, it definitely would be better if you wait until you are at, or at least near, your ideal body weight.  If you are able to lose a good bit of weight prior to your surgery, you will obtain a nicer esult and will also decrease your chances of complications.  GOOD LUCK!

John Whitt, MD