Do I Have to Lose Weight for Tummy Tuck?

do i have to lose weight in order for me to have a tummy tuck?

Weight Loss Before a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)

+2

You do not need to loose weight before a tummy tuck. As a matter of fact it is better if your weight is stable over a period of time. Your results will be far more improved if you are close to your ideal weigth. From El Paso.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before tummy talk?

+1

Thank you for the question.  I would recommend losing as much weight as possible before having the procedure done. Wait till your weight stabilizes to ensure the best result. If you have the procedure done before you reach your goal you may end up with loose skin and may require more surgery in the long run. In order to avoid that, consult With a well experienced for certified plastic surgeon plastic surgeon before you proceed with the surgery.

Weight loss before a tummy tuck

+1

A tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure to contour the abdomen, create a tight waist, and remove extra skin, fat, and stretch marks.

We have performed tummy tucks and patients of all shapes, sizes, and walks of life. We tell our patients that for best results, they should be at their stable weight before their surgery. If you are planning to lose weight you should go ahead and do so before the procedure. The more weight you lose, the better your result will ultimately be. 

Pat Pazmino, MD

Is weight loss necessary prior to surgery?

+1

In general the result is better if one is close to their ideal weight (within 10-20lbs), however, weights greater than this does not necessary preclude surgery.

Robert Sleightholm, MD
Brampton Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss and tummy tuck

+1

Difficult to answer not knowing your height and weight.  But tummy tucks are usually not a good idea in patients who are overweight and have excess intrabdominal obesity (too much fat inside their belly).  A physical exam is needed to best guide you.  Your plastic surgeon will determine if its best for you to lose more weight before a tummy tuck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Weight loss for a tummy tuck

+1

As a plastic surgeon, I want you to have the best outcome with the longest lasting results.   In order to obtain the best outcome, you should be as close to your ideal weight as possible, generally within 15-20 pounds.   For the longest lasting results, you have to maintain your weight.   Hence, the point.   I would much rather operate on a patient who is at a weight they will maintain long term, regardless of whether they have lost weight or not.    Your result will suffer if you lose weight for surgery, then gain it right back.   I wish you a safe and happy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, M.D.

Gill Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tummy tuck results will be stable if you are at your ideal weight.

+1

For best results, you should really be around your ideal weight.  10 lbs is the maximum we recommend out patients to be over. 

+1

Very short question with no info about you deserves an equally short response. HUMMMMM maybe? From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Tummy tuck and weight

+1

You do not specifically have to lose weight for a tummy tuck, but if you are not at your goal weight and can successfully diet, it is always better.

Ideal Weight for Tummy Tuck

+1

Although you do not comment on your current weight, most plastic surgeons would agree that abdominoplsty or tummy tuck patients are more likely to obtain a better result if they are at or at least near their ideal body weight.  This does not exclude patients who are not in this weight range, but they should be made aware that this is the case.

John Whitt, MD