Should I Loose Weight Before Tummy Tuck?

In 6 months, I'm having a Tummy Tuck. Is it adviceable to loose extra weight now? However, I can only loose about  5kg. because after that, my weight wont budge.

Don't lose weight before tummy tuck.

+2

Hi!

The weight you are now is probably close to your long term weight. In New York City, we prefer to shape the body as much as possible with an abdominoplasty in relation to this "normal" weight, not in relation to some "ideal" skinny weight that you will not really maintain.

And 5 kilos (10 pounds) is not much anyway. So go ahead!

Weight loss and Tummy Tuck

+2

If you are planning to lose weight, it's best to do so before your cosmetic plastic surgery. Weight loss can often cause the skin to sag or become more lax, and this can adversely affect your outcome if it happens after your procedure. If you have already lost the excess weight , you will get the most out of your skin tightening surgery. This applies not only to tummy-tucks (abdominoplasty), but also to breast lifts and face lifts as well. Also keep in mind that anesthesia is safer and surgical risks are reduced when weight is optimal.

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

It is good to lose weight before tummy tuck

+2

Cosmetic surgery is about looking and feeling your best and getting the best result from your investment in you. Weight loss and fitness are certainly part of the equation. If you plan on a loss of 5 kg by all means set the goal and lose the weight before your procedure. The reduction very well may improve the contour in your abdomen and improve the potential result of your tummy tuck.

If you need to lose more and plateau after 5 kg, you might want to seek help. There are many organizations out there to help inspire you. My staff watches the 'Biggest Loser' on ABC TV. There are many success stories and diet plans to share.

Remember, any investment you make in yourself will come back to you several times over. You can never look too good, or have too much fun.

peterejohnsonmd

Baseline weight

+2

As Dr. Yuan has noted, the stable "realistic" weight of the patient is more important than an elusive "ideal weight" that simply isn't realistic and sustainable.

In my experience, only lifestyle changes that are sustainable make a long term difference in the patient's weight and health. Taking up jogging, giving up desserts, giving up snacks, etc.

Also, after surgery patients must put in at least as much effort as they did before their surgery, or they will diminish or completely ruin their results by gaining weight.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Stable weight is more important than actual weight

+2

Ideally, you would want to have a stable weight and lifestyle going into surgery. If your weight varies too much before or after surgery, your surgeon may not be as accurate in determining what to do and your result may not be as predictable or long-lasting. Five kg. may not be significant if you are 70 kgs. but may be if you are only 45kg. On the other hand, if you are overweight and unfit, you may not be an ideal candidate for liposuction at all. I assume you have reviewed all this with your surgeon.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Losing weight before Tummy Tuck does make a difference

+2

Puzz,

My advice is to be at a "stable" weight before any body contouring surgery. As long as you don't lose or gain more than 10-20 lbs (4.5-9.0 kg) after your surgery, you should be okay.

In my experience, strengthening your abdominal muscles and core prior to surgery will hasten your recovery as well.

If you lose weight afterwards, you might end up with excessive skin that would've been removed during the tummy tuck. Of course, gaining weight after the surgery could affect your appearance too.

After the abdominoplasty, if you find that you've adopted a healthier lifestyle and some unplanned weight has come off, just talk with your plastic surgeon and see what might be done. A little extra skin trim might be in order, or you might even need to re-tighten the muscle layer if you've really dropped in weight.

Best of luck and be as fit as you can before the surgery.

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon

Try to get to your ideal body weight before your tummy tuck!

+1

A tummy tuck is a big procedure that tightens the abdominal muscles and removes excess skin, while reshaping your waist and abdomen. If you gain or loose weight after the procedure, you will be altering the results. (If you loose a significant amount of weight, your skin will look lax, and if you gain a lot, you will be stretching it out.)

Ideally, reach your goal, stable & maintainable weight before doing any body contouring. In the real world, sometimes you can't loose weight to where you want to be, and have reached the plateau. In those cases, it is OK to proceed with the tummy tuck. Sometimes you will notice it is easier to loose weight after the tuck (the tightening of the stomach wall can make you feel "stuffed" sooner when eating, and also the "new you" might feel better about visiting the gym...) If this happens, and you loose a few pound, you have to be accepting that the resultant loss of tightness is reasonable, considering that you would never have reached you goal without the tuck.

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS

Absolutely, loose the weight.

+1

The answer is relative. Are you overweight only by about the 5 kg., or are you significantly over a BMI of 25? If the former, you need to lose the 5 kg and learn how to maintain it. If the latter, you have just not learned how to modify your weight and need professional help doing so. There is no one who can not lose to an ideal body weight with the proper advice (and, occasionally, a little bariatric surgical help). If you are only 5 kg overweight, then you should have no problem with your time schedule. If you are significantly over a BMI of 25, then you may need to revise your schedule. Maximum safe weight loss is about 1 kg per week. You could, therefore, lose about 12 kg safely in 3 months, as you need to let your body adjust and your general nutrition return to normal over at least 3 months before undergoing a surgery as extensive as an abdominoplasty.

Abdominoplasty is a sculpting operation. Although it can be done in someone who is significantly overweight to try and remove a significant excess abdominal apron, this does not address your health issues. It is most effective and safest in someone who is near ideal body weight. Of all the operations we as plastic surgeons do, abdominoplasty is one of the riskiest. Being overweight just increases those risks. Because this surgery tightens the abdominal wall, putting extra pressure on the abdominal contents (the bowel and the vessels that flow from the legs to the heart), there is a significantly increased risk of getting blood clots in the leg veins which can break off and go to the lungs. This can cause severe breathing problems and even death. Being overweight tends to exacerbate this problem. It also increases other risks including pneumonia and wound break-down. This is in addition to the general health risks of being overweight, which, in themselves, are good reasons to lose weight..

If you are doing this for cosmetic purposes, it really makes no sense to deal only with one area. The best plan, therefore, is to do whatever it takes to get to an ideal body weight, and then deal with the extra skin and any residual localized fat with the abdominoplasty and spot liposuction.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

You are not giving us enough information to tell you.

+1

It all depends on what you weigh and what your BMI is. This is a question to ask your doctor. If you are fat - loose weight, if you are skinny you do not need to loose weight.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD