123lbs, 5'4, age 54; Should I Loose Weight Before Lipo and Thigh Lift?

My ideal weight of 105, age 54, height 5' and a very petite frame. I have always been plagued by cellulite and plan on lipo for lower body and possible tummy tuck and thigh lift. My consult is set for 5/2 and was wondering if it’s better to lose the weight before. I have read opposing opinions. My weight lose is now moving along after months of being in a stall, I'm at 123 so 18 pounds to go which is coming off nicely in just the last couple of days.

Is Weight Reduction Necessary Before Lipo?

+1

Although most plastic surgeons would recommend getting to your ideal weight before liposuction, I personally find if you are a little heavier, it shows me exactly where the fat cells are and it is easier to remove them.  One's ideal weight and one's real weight are often two very different things.  An ideal weight is some number off a graph that has little to do with any individual.  Most people have to work abnormally hard to reach their ideal weight, and after a while, they go back up to their real weight.  The problem here is, if your plastic surgeon liposuctions you at your ideal weight and then you revert to your real weight, you could have bulges where they weren't intended to be and you could be disappointed in your liposuction.   

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Should I Loose Weight Before Lipo and Thigh Lift?

+1

One thing is very clear and simple. If your ideal weight is 105 and you are losing weight nicely, you should continue to do so.

If you are not able to do so liposuction may still be of great help to you. It is hard to say without photos and knowing what area you want to treat.

Be careful in going ahead with a thigh lift. It is a great operation for the right reasons in the correct patient.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss before surgery

+1

I encourage my patients who are trying to lose weight to finish that process before surgery.  It eliminates some of the unknowns.  However, some people have intentions to lose weight, but know that they probably won't do it.  In those cases, it is fine to proceed with surgery.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and goal weight

+1

It is always better to be close to your goal weight when considering body contour procedures.  Good luck!