I Was Told By Several PS's that I Need a Tummy Tuck, But Would Rather Do Lipo. Will This Result in Loose Skin?

I was told by several plastic surgeon that I need a tummy tuck. However I'm scaryof being cut and just don't want to go that route. I'm 39yrs old 5"1 and 148lbs. I do not have kids. I lost over 60lbs over 15yrs ago Dr said I have will have hanging skin after liposuction.if that's true will I look horrible? I am considering traditional liposuction

Is Liposuction OK Instead Of A Tummy Tuck ?

+3

It is clear based on your description of your body from weight loss and the recommendations of several plastic surgeons that a tummy tuck will produce a better result. But if you can not accept the excisional nature of the procedure and the resultant scar, then it is not a good operation for you. While liposuction will not produce as good of a result, it is a more acceptable procedure for you. The key to undergoing just liposuction is your acceptance that the result will not be as good as a tummy tuck. That is the price you pay for a solution that does not ideally match the problem. 

Lipo. Will This Result in Loose Skin?

+2

We are all guessing without the benefit of examination or at least photos. 

But it seems that your problem is related to weight loss and poor skin elasticity. If you have excess skin now, it is quite predictable that you will have even more excess skin after liposuction, and an unsatisfactory outcome. The only escape from that will be a tummy tuck. If you are not willing to do that now, I would strongly suggest against liposutction.

Liposuction or tummy tuck

+2

Liposuction could potentially result in loose, hanging skin.  Tummy tucks and liposuction are not the same surgery and will rarely produce the same result.  If the physicians you have seen are Board Certified Plastic Surgeons with experience in this area, I would trust their opinion.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Lipo vs tummy tuck

+2

Given your weight loss, I am guessing you have loose skin.   If several plastic surgeons told you that you would benefit from a tummy tuck, then liposuction alone will not give you the best results.  Of course, its impossible for me or anyone to make recommendations without an examination.   But remember, liposuction is only a fat contouring procedure and has limited effects on excess skin, especially in the weight loss patient.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Liposuction or tummy tuck

+2

Without a picture, or examining you in person, it is hard to say for sure.  But it sounds as if you would have loose skin after liposuction.  

David A. Lickstein, MD

You will not be happy with result

+2

You already had natural liposuction(weight loss) and you a do not like the result. Your plastic surgeon are right. Liposuction(traditional,laser lipo,vaser and water jet) will make it worse.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon