Medial Loose Pouch of Skin After Upper Blepharoplasty

I had upper Blepharoplasty 5 weeks ago. Aside from having some "extra" muscle and skin removed, one aspect of the procedure was that I had fat removed from the inner corners of my eyes. Now, there is a loose little "pouch" of skin in the area. Will this go away? I am 44 years old with good skin elasticity. My bruising remained for approximately 3 weeks. The rest of the healing process is wonderful, natural and exactly what I hoped for. Thank you for your response.

Takes longer than five weeks for the skin to settle

+1

The medial portion of the upper eyelid incision can take months to completely settle and I totally agree with the previous response that it is very imporatant to avoid overaggressive skin resection in this area which can create tethering of the medial scar to the nose.

Give the excess skin after upper blepharoplasty time to settle down

+1

It sounds like your surgeon did a good job. The medial fat pad of the upper eyelid typically needs to be addressed. One of the goals of surgery is to camouflage the scar within the crease of the upper eyelid. If the scar extends to close to the base of the nose it becomes visible. This is a much bigger problem then excess skin.

In my experience, the skin typically retracts down to the new contour following removal of the medial fat pad. It will get better but if there is a small amount of excess skin then it can be excised in the office setting under local anesthesia after about 3-6 months. Waiting will allow the skin to "settle down" and the revision, if needed, should not extend the scar to far medially.

Michael Baroody, MD
Danbury Plastic Surgeon