Loose Skin or Just Swollen? (1 Week Post Op)

Only been 7 days since full tummy tuck with muscle tightening. When standing straight (tried) tummy looks real flat but when sitting down. I see a lot what appears to be loose skin (enough to grab in handful).it's above the incision line. When turning to side, I also can see some hanging loose skin (again, on the incision line). Is this normal? would these go away as swollen goes down?

Tummy Tuck results?

+1

At this point your recovery is much too early to be judging the results of surgery. Keep in mind, that even with the best results some skin  “excess” may be present  when you are sitting as opposed to when you are standing. Furthermore, a lot of the end result will depend on the quality of skin elasticity that existed prior to surgery.

I would suggest continued patience and follow up with your plastic surgeon

Loose Skin 1 Week Post-Op

+1

There will always be some skin laxity when you bend over, even after a tummy tuck.  I would give it more time to heal and go back to your plastic surgeon soon for a follow-up so he can address any concern. 

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

What to expect after tummy tuck

+1

Keep in mind, when you sit down, you will have some loose skin. The skinniest of people will have that too. That loose skin we have when we sit down is the skin that allows us to stand up. If your skin was tight when you were sitting down, you wouldn't be able to stand up straight. Patients often get a taste of this immediately after surgery, when they often cannot stand up straight due to the tightness after resecting the extra skin. 

William A. Wallace, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin.....

+1

It sounds like you aren't really tight which is unusual this early. I would show the area to your surgeon at your next appointment for clarification. There are cases in which things aren't as tight like in lesser tummy tucks or gastric bypass patients who have less extended surgery.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

Generally things are pretty taut after standard abdominoplasty.  You will have swelling early on and this could be what you are seeing.  Discuss this matter with your plastic surgeon.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

Photos would help if you have any but generally It is really too early to tell.  You may still have some swelling.  I tell my patients that they will have some laxity when sitting- otherwise they would never be able to stand up straight.  I would give it more time and discuss your concerns with your surgeon when you see him or her next.  Good luck!

Tiffany McCormack, MD
Reno Plastic Surgeon