Loose skin under chin? (photo)

I have this nasty band of skin under my chin. I've never had a strong neckline, even when young (I'm 44 now). I'd like to know what are the options that could give me a nice pronounced neckline that do not involve going under general anesthesia? Ideally, I'd prefer non-surgical, but I'm open to something a little more aggressive as long as I don't have to go under (I'm just deathly afraid of the idea of it). PS Ignore my red chin, I had perioral co2 4 days ago.

Loose skin under chin?

+1

A neck lift or a lower face and neck lift may be appropriate.  An exam would be necessary to make this determination.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of facelifts, necklifts, and facial procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Limited surgery

+1
You are likely a candidate for limited neck lifting procedures (as well as a facelift, but this doesn't necessarily need to be done).  Unfortunately, current non-surgical technology (e.g. radiofrequency, ultrasonic therapies, etc.) are helpful, and you may wish to look into them, but surgery will provide the most satisfactory improvement for you.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin under the neck does great with a neck tuck and is easy under local anesthesia.

+1

Lower face and neck lifts are easy to undergo under local tumescent anesthesia. You don't have to take all the risks and complications any more from general anesthesia. Cost is roughly $8800 on special and there is much less complications under local. Sincerely, David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for Improving Neckline

+1
There are a few options to improve your neck, but the best choice will depend on a careful analysis of the underlying cause of your hanging band.  From your photo, fat doesn't seem to be the problem so liposuction won't help.  If the band is due to loose skin, then you will need some tightening of skin, which is usually performed from behind the ears (a necklift).   The surgeon may also choose to add a suture from behind the ears to suspend/tighten the muscles a little.  However, if any skin looseness is minimal and mainly under the chin, and the band is due to sagging or overactive platysma muscles, then an incision under the chin will allow the surgeon to tighten and lift the muscle(s) and the skin may redrape upward smoothly once the muscle is not pushing down on it.  This approach can be done under local anesthesia with a preop tranquilizer or pain pill for relaxation in an office setting and only involves the short incision under the chin.  The more involved necklift is usually performed under IV sedation with local anesthesia.  In neither case, would you need to be "put under".  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in face and necklifts for a thorough examination and discussion of your options.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

U-lift

+1
You have skin laxity and a strong platysmal band (the muscle under the neck that makes the "cord" like lines under the chin.  Many surgeons would suggest a necklift or facelift and remove the muscle band and then tie the free edges together.  This works somewhat but doesn't remove the banding effectively.  A U-lift would pull the skin tighter and completely releases the platysma muscle from below giving a nice neck line. A U-lift can be done with local, sedation or general anesthesia.  As a quick aside, the fear of general anesthesia is probably unwarranted.  Yes, thing can happen with general anesthesia.  However, the chance of something bad happening is several magnitudes less than going to the market for milk.   Avoid anything non-invasive in that your results will be marginal at best. 

David Alessi, MD

Fear

+1

You are best served with a proven safe procedure which will reliably and safely give you an excellent and lasting result. Sadly there are too many who let fear determine their course. I would never have deep IV sedation in an office setting if I could have a general anesthetic by a board certified anesthesiologist in a real OR. Always do the right thing. Have a proper lift. Rainbows don't have gold at the bottom.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Neck lifts without surgery

+1

can be done through technologies that shrink and tighten your skin.  Find a doctor that has Ulthera and schedule a consultation with him/her.  If your doctor is willing to provide some kind of warranty, then consider booking it.  If all the risk is yours and if you don't benefit, too bad... I wouldn't waste my dollars with doctors like that.  If a technology is truly effective, the doctor should be able to provide some warranty to protect you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Neck lift versus face neck lift

+1

It is a difficult question to answer with only one photograph taken at an odd angle. When there is excess skin present in the neck, skin removal is necessary along with tightening the platysma muscle and removal of fat in the neck as well simultaneously. A neck lift with skin removal or a face neck lift would be required. For more information  and our neck lift photo gallery, please see the link below

Mini Neck Lift

+1

I am reasonably certain that you may receive different answers to your question.  But I  believe that you are an excellent candidate for a mini neck lift procedure,  which could be easily accomplished in the office with a little local anesthesia.  I am just over the bridge in St Petersburg.  Please let me know if you wish to talk further.  Please enjoy your holiday. 

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon