I Have Loose Skin on my Breasts. Would a Fat Transfer Make More Sense then Removing the Skin Itself?

I have C cup sized breast with loose skin, sagging breasts and stretch marks. I was considering a fat transfer to plump them up but read on here its not very reliable. Would it make more sense to just remove the excess skin? Are there any other suggestions? I am 5'2, 120 pounds.

Breast lift makes breasts firmer.

+2

Hi.

1)  Fat transfer does not correct sagging breasts.

2)  It sounds like you need a good breast lift (lollipop scars).  Removing excess skin is actually secondary.  You want an INTERNAL lift that shapes and tightens the breast tissue itself and that gives you a good long term result.

Implants vs. breast lift vs. fat injection

+1

Current issues with fat transfer to the breast include:

• high revision rates because of the variability of fat survival;
  • potential interference with mammography, ultrasound, and MRI for breast cancer screening;
  • theoretical possibility that injected fat could increase cancer rates (this is not likely but possible);
  • lower volume increase than typically possible with implants;
  • generally less upper breast fullness than implants can provide.

Fat transfer to the face, buttock, or breast has a role in properly selected patients, but if you have a significant amount of loose skin, it will not likely suffice. Given these issues, and the well proven nature of a breast lift when performed by a qualified, experienced surgeon, a breast lift may be a better option for you. Breast implants must also be considered if the breasts have lost volume but are not truly droopy (this is called pseudoptosis). These issues could be clarified based on your goals and physical exam.

Hope this helps.

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections are still in the experimental phase.

+1

Although fat injections (transfer) has been employed for years, we really don't know the fate of the injected fat.  It is being studied now at various research facilities.  Although apparently safe, the results are unpredictable.  Treatment for your breasts, in my opinion, should be by more conventional methods (mastopexy).

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com

Mastopexy versus Fat Transfer to Breasts

+1

Without "before" pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to answer your question.  However, if you have loose skin and stretch marks on your breasts, I doubt that fat transfer will be very useful.  You likely need a mastopexy and possibly an augmentation as well if you need to replace volume.

Good Luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Sagging Breasts. Is the answer - Breast Lift VS. Fat Transfer?

+1

In the presence of sagging breasts, especially large, deflated sagging breasts with stretch-damaged skin - adding volume is NOT the answer. Neither an implant nor fat grafting would give you long-lasting, perky breasts. the answer is to lift the breasts by expert tailoring of the breast skin, removing the excess skin and lifting the breast mounds to their youthful positions.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Breast lift

+1

If your breasts are sagging, it is better to remove the excess skin and lift the breasts than try to attempt to fill them with fat.

Breast augmentation together with breast lift

+1

Without a photo or preferrably a physical examination it is impossible to know what would be best in your situation. Given your description of sagging breasts with stretch marks it is highly unlikely that fat transfer/grafting alone will correct the issue. Thinned stretched out skin with stretchmarks just does not have the elasticity to give you the result you want. If you just put an implant or fat into the breat it just may end up sagging more.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

You may benefit from combination of fat grafting and breast lift

+1
You stated that you have excess skin and your weight indicates that you do not have a lot of fat. I would recommend breast lift and mastopexy combination. I have done more than 50 cases of combine procedure. The advantage is that fat fills the upper pole and lift bring the nipple to the new position. Please check my web site for examples
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer to breasts instead of lift

+1

Thank you for your question. In our San Francisco area practice we routinely perform fat transfer for buttocks enhancement, facial rejuvenation and breast enhancement.  The challenge in your situation has to do with the amount of breast sag you have and the amount of excess skin.

In most cases, fat transfer can't match the changes that a breast lift (mastopexy) can provide.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon familiar and experienced with both techniques and see what's right for you.

Web reference: http://www.trivalleyplasticsurgery.com

Fat transfer for the breasts is a volumizer, not a lifter

+1

If you percieve that your breasts are saggy - fat grafting alone is not the solution. A well done breast lift is an amazing procedure that can totally rejuvenate the breast. Fat grafting can add some volume, but not as reliably as an implant. I do fat grafting to the breast in my practice, and recognize its limitations.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.