Loose Skin After Smart Lipo?

I am nervous about having loose skin post Smart Lipo. I am having the procedure on my upper arms and considering my armpit/upper back area. What can realistic results be? I'm 28 years old. Also, I have heard the armpit area is not good area for smart Lipo. Is this true?

Smartlipo

+2

Smartlipo is a good procedure for arm lipo.  It can also be used around the axilla with good results.  Realistically, how good a result you are going to get depends on what your arms are like to start with.  You really need to see a plastic surgeon with experience in this procedure to get an accurate prediction of your outcome.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Loose Skin After Smart Lipo?

+1

In most patients this is not a concern, but only a physical exam could help determine whether this may be more likely in your case.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Loose Skin after Smart Lipo

+1

Although any energy assisted liposution (Smart Lipo, Vaser Lipo, etc) can tighten skin to a small degree,  they are not a substitute for skin excision or resection if the skin is significantly loose or has poor skin tone.  Be certain to ask your surgeon for their opinion as to which procedure would be in your best interest and ask to see before and after photos of patients who have undergone the various procedures.  best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin and Smartlipo

+1

You can have Smartlipo performed on an area of the body where there is excess fat. Your skin will not be loose after the procedure; the laser helps to tighten the skin while removing the fat. It is also important to wear the compression garment for the specified time.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

SmartLipo Candidate?

+1

Thanks for posting the question.  SmartLipo can be used in most places with excess subcutaneous fat.  Consult with your plastic surgeon to see if you are a good candidate or not.  There is rarely a reason to liposuction the armpit area unless you are trying to treat an excessive sweating condition.  Best wishes.

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Loose Arms

+1

It is not possible to answer your questions without good photos or an exam.  If you are unsure of what to expect with your surgery, you may want to discuss this with your surgeon again before having your surgery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Skin tightening with Smart Lipo

+1

Unfortunately, it is not possible to answer your question without more information.  Photos of the areas would help, as well as a description of your skin - is it already loose?  Do you have stretch marks?  Have you gained and lost a lot of weight?  Your surgeon should help you have realistic expectations of the results and recommend any additional procedures, if necessary.  If you are not comfortable, you might consider another consultation with a qualified surgeon so that you have more than one opinion to consider.

Michelle Spring, MD

Loose arms

+1

All candidates for laser assisted liposuction need to be examined by the treating physician for suitability

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Liposuction and arms

+1

I would have to examine you in person to determine if you ar a good candidate for liposuction of the arms.

Smart Lipo

+1

How much loose skin you will have depends on the quality of skin before the procedure and how much suctioning is done.  If you have fairly good, tight skin without stretch marks and have a reasonable amount of suctioning perfomred loose skin is usually not an issue.  You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  The area in front of your armpit is an ok area to do smart lipo if it done carefully to avoid burns or discoloration.  Please address your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Charles R. Nathan, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon