Does Everyone Still Have Loose Skin After Their Tummy Tuck?

I am going in for my tummy tuck in 4 hours!! Two days ago after reading everything I possibly could about it online, I started reading about the saggy skin that is left behind. My questions: does everyone get this? If not, how can I prevent it? Ive heard that sometimes after a few months it looks even worse. Im soo anxious to go under feeling like this... I will post my pictures as soon as I get near a computer.

No loose skin

+2

No you should not have any loose skin left.  If you do it is because your surgeon was conservative and should have removed more.  The best way to assess a surgeon's work is to look at his/her before/after photo gallery where there must be 6 views from each patient body (from under the breast to above the knees in small underwear; front view, quarter turn, profile, back, sitting front and profile).  If you see any loose skin on the before/after photos it is a sign that your doctor is conservative.  If all the views are not shown on the before/after photo gallery or there are no sitting views then look someone else to do your surgery.

Tummy Tuck Addresses Loose Skin

+1
A tummy tuck is designed to tighten loose skin, so you won't have sagging skin left behind. However, liposuction can leave saggy skin behind. Will you be having a tummy tuck or liposuction?

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Skin Tightness After a Tummy Tuck

+1

The goal of a tummy tuck is to stretch your skin so that the contour is tight while still maintaining adequate tension.  It is not common to have loose skin after a tummy tuck.  In the uncommon event that there is loose skin after this procedure, it is due to insufficient skin removal as you would see with patients who have right upper quadrant scars where skin cannot be removed under tension.  It would also be possible if the abdominal skin has severe stretch marks that extend well above the umbilicus. In this case it is impossible to remove all of the problematic skin.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Loose Skin After Tummy Tuck

+1

Not everyone has loose skin after a tummy tuck- this of course depends on each patient and their anatomy. Although the goal of the procedure is to remove the excess skin, we do try to avoid excess tension on the incision as well. There may at times be some excess at the ends of the incision ("dog ears"), which can be removed easily in an office setting if need be. Good luck with your sugery.

Derek Lou, MD

Skin laxity after a tummy tuck?

+1
The purpose of a tummy tuck, aside from reshaping the abdominal area and tightening abdominal muscles, is to remove the excess abdominal skin.
However skin is elastic and will stretch thus there will always be some loosenes.  After a tummy tuck you should expect to have a relatively tight abdominal skin, but naturally when you sit down the skin is expected to fold and relax.
Sincerely,
Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

The whole reason to have a tummy tuck is to remove the loose skin.  That said excess tension on the wound edges should be avoided.  Patients may have some excess sking laterally to prevent a long scar and may need a revision to remove "dog ears"  later.  Donald R Nunn Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Everyone will not have loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

After tummy tuck the skin laxity should be thoroughly addressed, though it is true that skin elasticity may determine 'looseness' after the procedure. You should have excellent contour when standing, but if your skin is not elastic you may see a fold or bunching as you bend fully forward. If your skin is more elastic, it will tighten in as you bend. Your tummy tuck can only be as snug as to allow you to stand up straight. For most, tummy tuck results are well worth the effort.

peterejohnsonmd