After losing 140lbs, I had a tummy tuck about 4weeks ago. Loose Skin After Tummy Tuck

After losing 140lbs, I had a tummy tuck about 4weeks ago. I'm not sure if the skin above the belly button is as tight as it should be (esp. noticable when I'm sitting).So, is this normal even after a tummy, or is it possible that the skin hasn't attached to the abdominal wall? Btw, I'm only 26 y/o

Loose skin after TT and massive weight loss

+1

After massive weight loss, the skin elasticity is poor and always will be.  Therefore, even after a full TT it is still the case that you might not feel as tight as you wanted to feel.  All the surgeon can do is remove the extra, the laxity can't be repaired.

Loose skin after massive weight loss and a tummy tuck

+1

Aside from the technical concerns discussed below, massive weight gain and loss ruins the elastic fibers of the skin.  They simply do not spring back, much like an elastic waist band that has been sprung.  It is not only common, it is the rule that massive weight loss patients may be tight when standing up, but loose when bending forward for that reason.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Fleur de lys tummy tuck works after extreme weight loss.

+1

Hi.

There is so much loose skin after massive weight loss, that sometimes the typical tummy tuck is not enough.  You need to remove skin side to side also.  That leaves an additional vertical scar in the middle.  This is the fleur de lys extended tummy tuck.  You might benefit from that in the future.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

Your compliant is very common after a tummy tuck. Remember the geometry of the abdomen is shorter in the sitting position than the standing. Therefore there will always be "excess" skin when the distances from point a to b changes. Hope you understand. If not discuss with the operating surgeon the geometry of the tummy tuck. Sounds like you were uninformed.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Short Term Appearance after Tummy Tuck for a Large weight Loss

+1

The best way to asses the extent of skin tightening is standing up and especially standing up and leaning over while relaxing the tummy muscle. When we sit we naturally flex our hips (bringing our knees up) that relaxes the tummy giving a false idea of the extent of skin looseness.

Loose skin after a tummy tuck after massive weight loss

+1

Congratulations on loosing 140lbs! This is a life changing experience to a better health. Unfortunately, massive weight loss patients have loss of skin elasticity and the skin tends to relax and stretch no matter how tight you  make it. Now, being one month out from surgery is too early to tell what your final result will be. This might take 6-8 months for the final shape and tightening to happen. It is possible that in a year you might need another skin tightening procedure to further improve you results. At this point, I would recommend that you wear your compression girdle for another 2-4 weeks.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Looseness after tummy tuck

+1

The upper abdomen is not as dramatically affected by an abdominoplasty as the lower abdomen but both with show some folds when you bend over. This is a normal behavior of soft tissue and can be more than you expect due to the loss of elasticity in the skin itself. We usually assess the effects of the surgery mainly when you are erect.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD