Should I Expect Loose Skin After Liposuction?

I am 48 years old, 2 kids 18 yrs ago. I want to have lipo done and I want opinions, will I have loose skin afterwards? Past history of body weight etc...I am 5'1 weighed under 100 lbs at pre preg, Gained 50 lbs with both children, was back to 110 lbs within 6 weeks of giving birth, no stretch marks. I am pretty active. 10 years ago was bodybuilding. Under 10% bf. now I weigh 129, weight is on thighs, waist, back, probably around 27% bf. oh and I am 1/2 Japanese if that makes a difference.

Loose skin

My guess would be probably yes. You need to have an examine to determine this. Make sure it is a board certified plastic surgeon that can also address loose skin issues no tjust lipo.

1914 Charlotte Avenue
Nashville, TN 37203

Loose skin a possibility after liposuction

The only way to know if you would have loose skin after liposuction would be to have a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon.  The key to liposuction is not the amount of fat removed it is the amount of fat that remains and the quality of the skin.  Poor skin elasticity will yield a poor result.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Loose Skin After Liposuction

This is a question that is better answered in an in-person consulation with your surgeon, as it is difficult to tell if you might have loose skin because that all depends on the quality and elasticity of the skin in the area you want liposuction.  As with any procedure, we suggest you visit a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your liposuction options and if necessary, skin-tightening options as well.  Hope this helps!

Norman M. Rowe, MD

71 East 77th Street
New York, NY 10075

Loose skin after liposuction

The answer is most likely yes, you will have some loose skin after liposuction.  The degree of loose skin is highly variable.  You need to contemplate what you are hoping to achieve from the surgery.  Are you looking to simply thin out the fatty layer or you looking for skin tightening.  I would suggest a visit to a Board Certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation on a treatment that would be most in line with your surgery goals.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

21300 Provincial Boulevard
Katy, TX 77450

Does Liposuction cause Sagging Skin?

Despite all the hype out there, Liposuction (or Suction assisted Lipectomy (SAL) the removal of fat with high powered suction) does only one thing - it removed fat under the skin. It does NOT shrink skin. As a result, similar to a sailboat sail after the wind went away, removal of long-standing fat MAY reveal and unveil preexisting excess skin which MAY sag. 

As a result, Liposuction should NEVER  be viewed as a weight loss procedure nor as a skin tightening procedure (such as a Tummy Tuck). While all liposuction may result in some skin loosening, the extent of skin sagging would depend on the area of the body suctioned, your age, your health and your ethnicity. The skin of young, healthy Asians tend to shrink better than that of others BUT to better advise you you will need to be examined by one or more experienced Plastic surgeons.

Good Luck

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Lipo doesn't remove skin

Based on your history. You probably will have some loose skin after lipo.  I often tell patients that liposuction isn't meant to remove skin so if you are loose with stretch marks etc. you will still have some looseness. Especially lower abdomen area. Good luck

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

383 Northfield Ave
West Orange, NJ 07052

Loose skin after liposuction

Thanks for your question, but without pictures and an exam it hard to no for sure.  If you have good elasticity then you should not develop much loose skin especially on the waist, thighs and back.  Good luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

1870 Keller Parkway
Keller, TX 76248

Will I have Loose Skin After Liposuction?

Dear Margie in Texas,   It is impossible for us to answer your question without photos and more importantly a thorough physical exam. However, I can tell you that there are many factors that will influence your liposuction outcome. The quality of your skin is very important. Is there loose skin to start with? How is your skin elasticity? How often have you been pregnant? Do you have stretch marks? To name a few. How much fat do you have and how much will be removed will affect you result. Smoking can affect your outcome as well. My recommendation is to ask very specific questions about your outcome from your American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon. It never hurts to have several opinions as well. Your surgeon should be able to give you a reasonable explanation of your results after a complete exam.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

4825 Olson Memorial Highway (Hwy 55)
Minneapolis, MN 55422

Skin appearance following liposuction - will it be loose?

Skin appearance following liposuction is based upon skin quality in the area being treated and the amount suctioned from that area.  Many factors affect skin quality, including previous weight fluctuations, pregnancies, smoking, etc.; stretch marks are an indication of previously "over stretched" skin.

To predict how the skin in an area will appear after liposuction requires a detailed history and physical examination.  I would recommend consultation with several board-certified plastic surgeons, to get a better idea of what you can expect following the procedure.

Good luck.

Craig S. Rock, MD

6624 Fannin
Houston, TX 77030