Loose Skin After Double Chin Liposuction- Will It Fix Itself Or Do I Need Treatment?

hi, i had a pretty mild case of double chin and underwent double chin liposuction 1 month ago. however, i did not use the compression cloths like the doctor instructed, and now i have slightly loose skin. will it remedy itself in time, or should i seek treatments?

Skin Sag Following Chin Liposuction

It’s not unusual for patients to have small amounts of residual skin sag following liposuction of the neck.  This skin sag usually improves as wound healing continues in the post-operative period.  In many cases, improvement can be seen 3-6 months following the procedure.

In an effort to minimize post-operative skin sag the majority of plastic surgeons utilize compressive chin straps.  This not only decreases swelling, but also facilitates skin re-draping in the post-operative period.

Without a physical exam or pictures it’s difficult to estimate the probability of permanent skin sag.  In the majority of patients skin sag will improve with conservative management and the passage of time.  In a small number of patients a neck lift may be necessary.  If you’re concerned about this problem, consultation with your plastic surgeon is appropriate.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Loose skin after chin liposuction

In the first few months after chin liposuction the appearance of loose skin can happen.  You'd be surprised at how much change you'll see over a 3 to 6 month period.  Be patient, if you still have this issue after that time frame then consult your surgeon about a face/neck lift.  Best of luck.  Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

2550 Samaritan Dr Suite F
San Jose, CA 95124

Loose skin after Double Chin Liposuction

Since it is only one month since your liposuction, I would suggest you allow more time for healing before you seek further treatment for the loose neck skin.  Three to six months would be a reasonable time frame.  If the loose skin has not resolved you may want to consider a neck lift.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

2581 Samaritan Drive
San Jose, CA 95124

Droopy Chin Skin after Liposuction

This may or may not improve.  There are solutions to the potential skin excess.  I would allow 3-6 months of healing time.  Close follow  up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.  

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS, FACS

2220 Wisteria Drive
Snellville, GA 30078

Can not say because need photos. My bet is minor skin excision. But I woyuld wait 3 months to allow full healing before doing anything further. 

6330 Manor Lane
Miami, FL 33143

Loose Skin after Chin Liposuction

Without pictures, it is hard to say but you may see some improvement over the next few months. Go back to your plastic surgeon and see if compression can still be used.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

2333 W Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60618

Double chin

It would really help to have pre-op photos to see how much laxity  you had prior to surgery and thus be able to assess your post-op results

Edward J. Bednar, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

439 N. Wendover Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28211