Will I Have Loose Skin from Abdominal Liposuction?

I have been looked at by a Doctor that specializes in liposuction but is not a plastic surgeon. He has done over 500 liposuctions and is a member of the American Society of Liposuction. He says I am a good candidate for abdominal liposuction, but I am concerned about having loose skin after. I have some minor stretch marks, 29 years of age, never been pregnant. I exercise often and have maintained my current weight for over a year. I don't want to get this liposuction done and regret it.

Liposuction or Abdominoplasty

+2

You certainly would have some positive benefits to having liposuction as it appears that you have excess fat of the abdomen.  At your age, thickness of skin and the fact that you have not had children means that there will be some tightening of the skin.  The question is how much.  You appear to be a better candidate for abdominoplasty if you want a flatter tighter abdomen.  If you want the lower cost alternative, with easier recovery and minimal scars then I would go with the liposuction.  You can always have a full tummy tuck later if you feel the skin is still loose or after having children.  If, on the other hand you want the best result possible for trimming the abdomen, then I would seriously consider the tummy tuck.  You should seek a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon to get further information on the details and risks of surgery.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs. Tummy Tuck

+1

Whatever you do, you should consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to help you make the right decision.  You don't want to have regrets later

You could benefit some from liposuction, but you have enough extra skin that a tummy tuck would give you an even more dramatic result.  If you did a large amount of liposuction alone on your abdomen, you likely would have loose skin.

David Stoker, MD

+1

I think you are certainly have good reason to be concerned about excessive skin following liposuction. On the plus side is the fact that you are 29, never been pregnant and have had a consistent weight for over a year.  On the negative side is the amount of stretching that your abdominal skin has undergone with this excessive weight.  Your situation is one that has to be approached very carefully so as to avoid disappointment.  i always spend a lot of time with patients before liposuction as it is very important for patients to realize that the final result is going to be a 50:50 situation- where 50% of  the final result is the skill of the surgeon and 50% of the final result is how the patient's skin is going to heal and contract.  Another thing to remember is that if you are not happy with your liposuction result you could always have a tummy tuck at a later date to remove any excessive skin.  My final recommendation would be to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a second opinion as they  will be in much better position to advise you about both liposuction and abdominoplasty. 

Donald M. Brown, MD

Tummy Tuck Is A Better Solution When Too Much Abdominal Skin Exsts

+1

It would be fair to say that you will have a loose skin problem if only liposuction was performed on your abdomen. You are a much better candidate for a tummy tuck as your abdominal problem is not one of fat alone. Liposuction will need to be performed outside of the zone of the tummy tuck to remove fat along the waistline and into the back areas however. One of the keys to a successful plastic surgery result is to match the solution to the problem. From this perspective, a tummy tuck is a much better solution to your abdominal needs.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Not a liposuction candidate - consider tummy tuck

+1

Your concerns are justified. If you have liposuction performed, you should anticipate having loose skin. The ideal sequence is to have the liposuction performed initially, and then potentially six months later the tummy tuck.  Abdominoplasty surgery can not only reuce your excess skin and fat, but can tighten your muscles and improve your waistline. Your better served by having the procedure done by a board certified plastic surgeon, or physician who has spent the better portion of their career performing all types of general surgery, abdominal surgery, and reconstructive surgery who might not only be better trained in the area of your interest, but certainly better trained to deal with any potential complications. 

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD

Liposuction vs. Tummy tuck

+1

Honestly, I agree with you.  Looking at your pictures, along with the information that your have stretch marks, I believe that you would have loose skin after liposuction. I personally would recommend an abdominoplasty (ie. tummy tuck) which would address not only the excess fat but also the excess skin as well as tighten your abdominal muscles.  The draw back would be a larger scar, but this would be very low and could be hidden in underwear or a bathing suit.

M. Keith Hanna, MD