Do I have Loose Skin/ Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

HI, I am 24 years old, 5'10" and weigh 150lbs. I lost over 100 pounds 5 years ago and have managed to maintain my weight and exercise 5 times a week. I know I have loose skin on my stomach, but was wondering if the upper section of my stomach is loose skin ( shown in the leaning over pic). Also, judging by my pics, do you think having a tummy tuck now is okay, or would you suggest I lose more fat around my stomach area? During a TT would the surgeon remove fat from the upper body? Thank you.

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+4

You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck. The surgery will tighten your upper and lower abdomen, and that tightness will not change as long as you don't plan to lose more than another 15 pounds or so. You can talk with your surgeon about whether liposuction might enhance your result, but it can increase the risk of complications slightly, and it doesn't seem necessary based on your photos. Best wishes for a great result.

Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

+2

Thank you for your question and the photos. Congratulations on your weight loss and having maintained it. You look terrific. However, yes you are a very good candidate for a full tummy tuck and it will remarkably improve your hanging abdomen. Hopefully you will be under the care of an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who can show you satisfactory sample photos of patients similar to yourself. Good luck.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS

Do I have Loose Skin/ Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+2

You will have a very nice result from a tummy tuck at this point in time. The skin and fat of the upper abdomen will be under more tension and will appear flat.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+2

Your photos indicate you are a very good candidate for a full tummy tuck and should get an excellent and very satisfying result.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck following weight loss

+2

Hello there

thank you for your question and many congratulations for losing so much weight. You are actually very slim and with your excess skin you seem to be an ideal candidate for tummy tuck surgery.

It is very difficult to comment further without examining you in person and assessing the quality and pliability of your tissues but I suspect the upper abdominal skin would be tightened considerably after this surgery

Good luck!

Paul Banwell Consultant Plastic Surgeon London

Paul Banwell, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2

Congrats on the weight loss. Yes, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck. Hard to best evaluate the upper abdomen without a physical exam.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tucks to help reduce loose, saggy skin

+2

Tummy Tuck, or Abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure to remove excess fat and skin from the lower abdomen, while restoring weakened or separated abdominal muscles creating a tighter, firmer, and thinner abdominal profile.

We are all aware of changes that occur in our bodies that are often beyond our control. Excess skin, stretch marks, and muscle laxity or bulging in the lower abdomen are often the unexpected side effects of becoming a mother or losing weight. These conditions do not improve with better diet or more exercise leaving many women feeling less feminine and compensating for their unwanted curves with clothing that camouflages these extra "bulges". With the added pressure of feeling "vain" or "frivolous" about wanting to change these problem areas, many women find it difficult to even call and make a consultation, let alone discuss these concerns with their plastic surgeon.

I understand these very real concerns and take pride in carefully educating each patient about their options and empowering patients to make their own decisions in an informed manner. We recognize that a Tummy Tuck is a significant surgical procedure and is not the right choice for every patient, but for thousands of women each year a Tummy Tuck affords the opportunity to move from camouflage to confidence.

Christopher G. Williams, MD
Lone Tree Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Timing

+2

Congrats on the weight loss and keeping it off. You look like a great candidate for a tummy tuck and the timing sounds good given your stable weight. Many patients who loose over 100 lbs achieve better results with a circumferential body lift then with just a tummy tuck. In addition, it is difficult to assess the horizontal skin excess in the photos. Many times with excess horizontal skin excess a vertical component in conjunction with a tummy tuck or at another time is necessary. The only way to know which procedure is best for you is an examination by a plastic surgeon who can discuss all of the options with you.

Luis H. Macias, MD

Tummy Tuck after Weight Loss

+2

-Congratulations on losing so much weight!

-Based on your photos, and the fact that you have been at a stable weight for quite awhile, it appears that you would be a good candidate to undergo a tummy tuck.

-I don't think that it is necessary for you to lose any more weight before the operation.

-Definitely, meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out more about the procedure. After examining you, he/she will be able to explain what you can expect from the operation.

-Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS

Best timing of tummy tuck after weight loss?? Ask Dr Ellen

+2

Hey there JMack,

Huge congrats to you for a job well done AND...maintaining the result! I can see you have developed some great muscle tone too which is equally rewarding.

Based on your photos, you are correct, there is some loose skin in your upper abdomen which explains the horizontal crease at the level of your belly button and also the draping of your skin when you bend forward. I would imagine there is a small amount of residual fatty tissue there but without a physical examination, it is impossible to say.

At 5'10" tall and 150 lbs, it doesn't seem that there is a lot more fat to lose and as you know, we don't have the luxury of "spot area weight loss." In other word, you may lose weight with further effort but no guarantee it will come off in the areas that you desire.

With that said, it looks like you meet the criteria for a tummy tuck procedure. The next step would be to find a qualified board certified surgeon in your area who can better assess what specific technique would be best suited for you.

Get as much information as you can, take your time to understand it and the rest will fall into place.

Good luck!

Thanks for asking! Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon