Loose Neck Skin, What Options do I Have other than a Full Neck Lift?

I dont need a facelift but I have a small amount of loose skin under my chin and 2 folds on my neck. I don't want or need a neck lift as its only loose skin nor do I need lipo as its not fat. As its minimal I would like a local anaesthetic, why do doctors not want to do these minimal corrections? when sometimes these small defects affect peoples self confidence like big problems? I am sick of wearing scarves because I hate my neck folds.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Loose Neck Skin Options

+1

Hi and thank you for your question.

Patients with sagging neck skin or excess fat generally may benefit from a neck lift or lower face lift with liposuction. Direct neck lifts with incisions directly under the chin are typically reserved for specific patients and carry the risk of visible scarring. Other options that may be appropriate to improve the neck without face lift surgery include Botox Cosmetic for active neck muscles or silicone chin implant for a weak chin bone structure. Lastly, neck liposuction alone even when there isn't a lot of neck fat may tighten the neck skin in younger patients. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a plastic surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Web reference: http://www.potomacplasticsurgery.com/facial-plastic-surgery/face-lift.cfm

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift

+2

First, I would have to examine your neck to get an accurate idea of what can be offered.  A Mini-U-Lift(TM) can certainly be done under local for minor corrections.  If it is the platysmal bands causing the problem, Botox can be beneficial at times or they may required excision (also can be done under local).  RF ablation of the mid line area under the jaw can be done under local without incisions.  Find a Board-Certified Facial Plastic surgeon for a complete consultation.  

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.facialinstitute.com/

A Limited Necklift will do the Job!

+2

Most patients come to my office for one of three neck complaints;

1-Too much fat

2-Too much excess skin

3-Sagging of the platysma muscle - the vertical folds or bands that you talk about.

If you have too much fat - Then Liposuction!

If you have sagging plastysma muscle then Platsymaplasty. For many of my patients with little excess skin or fat, I can perform a corset platysmaplasty through a small scar under the chin under local anesthesia.

If you have execss skin - then a more thorough necklift is warranted with incisions behind the ears to remove the excess skin.

And for a small number of people, we can perform a limited necklift by removing the excess skin from directly under the neck.

+2

Removing some of the excess neck skin can be accomplished with an incision under the chin.  This can be combined with liposuctuion to remove excess fat (if present).  The incisions and healing time is a fraction of that associated with a formal Neck Lift.  You might want to try this first and see if you're happy.  Many of my patients have this and don't want a full neck lift although this could always be done afterwards if you did.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Alternatives to Neck Lift Surgery

+2

First, your cosmetic surgeon should evaluate to your particular aging pattern and anatomy. And of course, it is important to understand your goals such as acceptance of surgery, recovery and your desired longevity of the improvements.

Options range from non-surgical treatments such as Ultherapy to a comprehensive neck lift. And then there are a variety of surgical modifications possible. Consult with an experienced face and neck lift surgeon (or two) and have him/her outline your options. It is impossible to suggest the right approach from the distance.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Limited Neck Lift under Local Anesthesia

+1

A photo or a proper examination would help determine the best way to treat the loose neck skin. From your description, as an Oculofacial cosmetic surgeon, I might recommend a limited neck lift may be the right choice for you to improve the appearance of your neck to reduct sagging skin and tighten the overall appearance of your neck. At my practice in New York (Manhattan / Long Island), we perform neck lift surgery under local anesthesia with light IV sedation, which is safer than general anesthesia and has a quicker recovery with less downtime. Do your research in finding a qualified cosmetic surgeon whose specialty is the face and neck area.

Web reference: http://prasadcosmeticsurgery.com/prasad-face-eyes/facial-surgery/necklift-rejuvenation/

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Options other than neck lift

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without seeing your pictures – you should consider posting images showing your areas of concern.  It may be that you do need a surgical face/neck lift.  As far as other options, smart lipo can sometimes tighten skin without the need for cutting skin out.

Web reference: http://www.seattleface.com/html/face_lift.php

Options for loose neck skin

+1

The reason most doctors dont want to perform these interventions is that the results are very poor.  To retain a natural look the removal of skin and new support vectors have to be spread in a natural way.  there are many options that can be comppleted under local including a full neck lift in the right patient.  Stay away from the 'mini' interventions offered mostly by para-plastic practitioners.  Find a Plastic and reconstructive surgeon that you trust and  let them guide you.  usually short cuts like ultrasound and energy based interventions just take a lot of your money and leave patients undertreated or even worse unnatural looking.  If you do want to try a noninvasive, Infrared light such as Sciton SkinTyte if carefully temperature monitored and administered by a plastic and reconstructive surgeon can be safe with noticeable effects.  This however is not even close to a replacement for surgery.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Web reference: http://www.rianmaercksmd.com

Procedure to address excess neck skin

+1

It's hard to say what the best method to address your concerns is without examining your neck. Your age and skin quality are important factors.

There are several methods to address loose neck skin. The most direct, which can be done with local anesthesia, is to directly excise the excess skin from the midline neck. Of course, this would leave a scar there, though, so depending on your goals and skin appearance this may not be a good option. If a loose platysma muscle is contributing to the problem then performing a platysmaplasty may be helpful. A mini-facelift may be an additional option if there is the concern that the excess skin won't redrape appropriately.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/mini-facelift

For extra neck skin you can do a lower face neck lift in a minimal fashion

+1

You can do a minimal procedure instead of a full neck lift. This would entail a face lift done to treat the lower part of the face and neck.  It can be done in probably an hour or so. Below is an example of a video that helps to answer this question for you to watch and a link to see more informative videos:

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon