Should I loose those last 20 lbs before my tummy tuck? (photo)

I already lost 180lbs with a lot of hard work and dedication. I am currently considered to be 20 lbs over weight according to my bmi. I am sitting at 180 lbs and am really happy with how far I have come. I am conserned that I will not get the best results from my tummy tuck if I am still overweight. I have a lot of fat and hanging skin in my abdomen.

Always Lose Extra Weight For Best Tummy Tuck Result

+4

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss, an incredible achievement. You will be rewarded with an excellent tummy tuck result for all of your hard work.

I am certain that it is frustrating to have to wait but if you have an extra 20 pounds to lose please continue your fabulous progress and lose an extra 20 pounds.

There is just no question that you will achieve the best tummy tuck result when you are at closest to your ideal weight. Any residual fat beneath the skin will prevent the surgeon from tightening the tummy skin as tight as possible and you will not achieve the best result.

Congratulations again and keep up the good work.

Weight Loss and Tummy Tuck

+1

In general it is best to achieve your desired weight prior to having any body contouring surgery. Skin quality is compromised by massive weight gain with resultant loss in skin elasticity. Stretch marks are a reliable sign of such skin damage and are visible in your photos. If you lose weight after the tummy tuck the skin will not shrink or tighten and this will compromise the overall result of the surgery.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss after Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement

+1
There is a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement. Mesh provides added mechanical strength to the abdominal wall resulting in early satiety, helps weight loss and maintains the reduced weight. There are recent articles published in Plastic Reconstructive Journal describing this technique. This technique may help you lose the additional 20 lbs you desire. You may also benefit from a circumferencial lift. This is usually done in 2 settings, doing the tummy tuck first and then the posterior lift. Best Wishes, Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummytuck, Abdominoplasty, Bodylift, Dr. Adibfar, Plastic Surgeon Toronto

+1

Hello;

Congratulations on your great achievement !

I recommend that you reach your ideal weight that you can sustain for a period of time prior to proceeding with any surgical procedure.

At that point, your surgeon can recommend the correct treatment plan ( tummy tuck vs. bodylift) and give you the tightest surgical result.

Keep up the excellent work.

Best wishes

Ali Adibfar, MD, DDS

Tummy tuck and weight loss

+1

You will get the best result with your tummy tuck by being the lowest SUSTAINABLE weight. Do not artificially lower your weight to a level where it will all be gained back. If you can lose the 20 pounds and maintain the weight loss - wonderful. If not, OK to proceed now. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Don't use BMI as an absolute guide

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.

If you are off you ideal BMI but you feel and look great, then don't worry about reaching your 'ideal' BMI

Your results will be tailed to your existing body. Should you struggle to loose the additional weight to get the surgery and then after the surgery you gain the weight back, then there was no point to loosing the extra 20lb.

However if you are going to loose weight AFTER the surgery, then it makes sense to wait until you finished loosing all your weight

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Body Contouring after weight loss

+1

Congratulations!!!! On loosing so much weight! You are heroic!

It's now time to move forward and do what dieting and exercise will not do. In my opinion, there is no major benefit to wait. I would go ahead with your body contouring procedures provided your overall health is good. Good luck!

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

More weight to lose

+1

Hi melmel. Fantastic job on the weight loss. You are an excellent candidate for a lower body lift, which entails a 360 degree incision around the waist. You get a TT, Butt lift Butt augmentation if needed A very strong outer thigh lift and monsplasty. Liposuction is also done to further improve your contours. About your weight. If stable and cannot lose more, that's fine. If however you are able to lose more weight, I would strongly recommend you do so, as your results will be better and you will have fewer complications. I don't think you will be happy with an abdominoplasty alone. Find a ps specializing in post massive weight loss body contouring to consult with.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! Sometimes the last 10 or 20 pounds are the hardest to lose but for a tummy tuck it probably won't make that much difference. You want to be at a weight you feel you can maintain. Be sure to find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and view before and after pictures of patients similar to your situation. Good Luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Should I loose those last 20 lbs before my tummy tuck?thank

+1

This is really a personal decision and 20 lbs or fewer should not make much of a difference in the ultimate result. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA