Second Round, Loose Crowns; Should I Go With Implants for New Crowns? (photo)

My fiance is having trouble with his front crowns. When he was a teenager he was in a skateboarding accident and chipped his front teeth and needed crowns, then he was in a car accident and they needed to be replaced. Its been about 9 or 10 years since his last crowns and now they're loose, he uses fixadent 3 times a day. Do you believe he'll need implants or new crowns, not to mention his crowns now look really bad, the last dentist he went to said they look like chicklets! (we've moved since)

Should loose crown be replaced with implants..

+2

As the other dentists have already pointed out it is very difficult to give you an answer based on the blurry photos.  We would need xrays and other information.  As a general rule a loose crown does not necessarily mean it needs to be extracted and implants placed.  I would consult with a  local dentist in your area

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Second Round, Loose Crowns; Should I Go With Implants for New Crowns?

+2

Once you are on the second round of crowns, you need to really make sure you have the right plan. Teeth injured in accidents can be troublesome. The roots can slowly and even painlessly dissolve until it's not just the crown that's loose, but the whole tooth and root.

First, start with a great cosmetic dentist. There are many dentists who put in implants. There are many dentists who make crowns, but in the end, winding up with an amazing smile requires outstanding planning and communication. Don't let anyone put in implants, until the cosmetic dentist says it's ok to move forward!

When there's a choice, I would prefer to find out why these crowns are loose and solve that issue. If new crowns can be made, I think that's the most conservative option.

In some situations, trauma simply destroy or changes too much. At that point implants are necessary and a very good long term solution.

Since you will look at his front teeth more than he ever will, make sure that you go along with him to any appointments where temporaries or the new front crowns get fitted. Make sure that it looks good to you before anything gets cemented permanently!

Web reference: http://www.scottgreenhalghdds.com/cosmetic-dental-implant-services.html

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Should loose crowns be replaced with crowns or implants

+2

It's impossible to answer this question solely based on these blurry pictures. The answer would depend on the amount of bone structure (seen on X-rays), the gum (periodontal condition), the bite (occlusion), and the presence of decay. If none of the above play a major role, then the best solution is to preserve your own teeth and seek out an experienced cosmetic dentist who can replace the " chicklets" with very natural looking crowns.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

How to deal with Loose crowns

+2

Thank you for sharing your concerns. I am sorry to say that the photos are no clear at all. However,  I will try to answer you in general terms. Just because a crown comes off, it does not mean another new one  will not work, but you need to first see why the first one came off first. I there recurrent decay, is the crown leaking due to old margins or openings? has it come off due to grinding, teeth shifting, and a bad bite? 

These are questions that need to be answered and the only way is if you consulted a dentist in their office. One thing is for sure, the more your fiance delays restoring his tooth, the harder and more expensive it will get to be fixed. Implants are always more expensive however the in most cases the best way to replace missing teeth .

Orange County Cosmetic Dentist

Crowns versus Dental Implants

+1

I think the other dentists have given you good advice.  The good thing about the crowns being off is that the dentists can see the condition of the tooth and give you a better assessment if it is worth making news crowns or if implants might be a better alternative.

There is a point when a judgement call must be made as to how long broken down teeth will last.  If the teeth have a really poor prognosis it might be best to go ahead and consider implants as they may last a lot longer.

The good thing is you may have some choices.  Find an experienced cosmetic dentists who also has special interests in implants.

Good luck

Ronald W. Konig DDS

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants to Replace Failing Crowns

+1

It is difficult to give you an exact answer with the limited information available. If these teeth have had root canal treatment (which is probably the case) that there may be a post and core that is loose along with the crown.  If this is loose it may be from decay or a fracture which is common to occur after several years.  It can also be from the fact that when the crowns were placed the bite was not adjusted correctly and his chewing forces cause the crowns to loosen.  Usually after two crowns have been replaced, the tooth is too far gone to repair without heroic efforts and the long term prognosis is poor.  He may also have bone loss around these teeth from the loose crowns which may necessitate bone grafting along with or prior to dental implants. Dental implants will be a permanenet fi if performed properly by a proprly trained indicidual such as a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Ask a trusted dentist in your area for a consultation with one to get the correct treatment performed

Web reference: http://drbdorfman.com

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Replace crowns or place implants

+1

Hi

If the teeth are predictably restorable with new crowns then that should be the treatment of choice. This means, the tooth has healthy root, healthy foundation, and adequate amount of tooth material left to hold a crown.  If it is a compromised tooth with significant loss of tooth material, questionable post or build up, or unhealthy foundation, then extraction and replacement with an implant should be considered. A good restorative dentist can provide you with best direction.

Dr. Kazemi

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon