How to Address Loose Belly After Pregnancy?

I'e been really insecure after having 2 C-sections. I've tried excersing and dieting but nothing works because if my horrible tummy. I cry all the time; please can anyone tell me what I can do for this problem?

Loose Tummy after Pregnancy Best Treated with Full Tummy Tuck

+5

Thank you for your question. See an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for advice.

From your photo it appears that you will need a full tummy tuck. During the Tummy Tuck if your abdominal muscles are split they may also be repaired.

The more weight that you can lose before your Tummy Tuck the better your results will be.

Good luck.

Full Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) is a Great Option for Correcting Loose Belly Following Pregnancy

+2

Many patients develop redundant abdominal tissue and weakened muscles following pregnancy. This problem is refractory to diet and exercise in most cases. Patients typically have lowered self-esteem, self-image, and self-confidence as a result. For these reasons, they often present for abdominoplasty surgery.
Many patients have other problems associated with pregnancy. These include localized fat collections, loss of breast volume, and breast sag, which also may need to be corrected.
It’s important to see a board-certified plastic surgeon for advice. Your pictures suggest that you would benefit from a full abdominoplasty. In addition, liposuction of your hips and thighs might augment this procedure. Results are better when patients are within ten percent of their ideal body weight. This procedure has the potential to dramatically improve the quality of your life.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy after pregnancy

+2

You look to be a great candidate for an abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) and some liposuction to your hips and mid-back.  This surgery is done under a general anesthetic.  It usually can be done on an outpatient basis, but frequent follow-ups with your Plastic Surgeon are needed over the first 2-3 weeks.  This surgery can provide fantastic results, but there is a significant recovery period. You would be moving very slow for the first 2 weeks, and will need some help around home for at least the first week. 

This is a VERY common situation after having kids, so please don't feel insecure or that you are an unusual case. You do want to be done having kids before doing a tummy tuck.  You also want to be at a stable weight, and I strongly encourage a regular exercise program.  See a board-certified Plastic Surgeon for a full consultation, and I believe you will be very happy with your results!

Robert Wilke, MD
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with abdomen after pregnancy

+2

It seems babies are being delivered much bigger these days and it also seems these big babies are causing more and more problems with their mother's abdomens  In the process of growing these big babies many normal and expected physical problems are happening with the mother.  The abdominal wall is stretching and in this process the muscles stretch and get longer, the skin is stretching and getting larger and the mother is gaining weight and putting more fat on the abdominal wall.  The end result for many mothers after the pregnancy is an abdominal wall that  has weak muscles, loose skin and more of a fat layer under the skin.

Exercise and proper eating can improve the muscles and fat layer on many mothers but in many cases the skin has lost its elasticity and therefore even with improvements of the muscles and the fat the skin is still loose.  For these mothers the only solution is an operation to remove the excess skin.

Whether the operation chosen is a tummy tuck, a cosmetic operation paid for by the patient, or a panniculectomy, a medically indicated operation paid for by the insurance carrier, the goal is to have the excess skin removed and the muscles on the abdominal wall repaired. Recovery time for the two operations is identical.

I suggest you consult with an experienced surgeon who will consider doing the operation with assistance by your insurance carrier to save you the expenses of self pay if possible.

John K. Long, MD

Tummy tuck and body contouring

+2

Based on the photos you have submitted above, it appears that you would benefit from a tummy tuck procedure to improve your abdominal contour. The best time to undergo surch a surgery is when you are close to your ideal body weight. As you lose weight before surgery, the skin will sag slightly more that it does now, however, this will be removed at the time of surgery.

Also, based on the photos of your back/buttock area, you may also consider liposuction of your lower back and sides with a fat transfer to the buttock area. This will not only give a fuller appearing buttock, but more importantly, your entire lower back and torso will have a more complete, aesthetically appealing shape.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to review all your body contouring options and to see if you are a good surgical candidate.

William Bruno, MD

You need a tummy tuck

+2

You will have a substantial improvement in your belly with a TT. Just make sure you are done having kids, are within 10-20 pounds of your ideal weight, don't smoke and that you DO go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your care. Look at lots of photos on my web site and see what you can do to improve!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck for loose belly.

+2

Hi!

You need a good tummy tuck to remove the excess skin and fat and to tighten the muscles. (You include very helpful pictures!) It's not hard.

Afterwards, you will still be overweight, but that is a separate issue. Your stomach will be a lot flatter even if you don't lose weight. You don't have to be thin to have an abdominoplasty.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Abdomioplasty for loose skin.

+2

Thanks for providing the pictures - they are very helpful.  You would benefit greatly from an abdominoplasty.  Another other procedure, including liposuction, is not going to give you a nice result.  You have excess skin and they only way to remove it with a nice result is tummy tuck.

David Shafer, MD

+1
Thank you for the question.  You are on the right track.  Losing weight is very hard work and can be frustrating slow.  A tummy tuck and liposuction would be able to improve your current abdominal appearance.  However, if you lost 50 more Lbs, you would be able to achieve an even greater result with less risk of complication.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for your consultation.  Best of luck.

-- Dr. Mussman

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

See a board certified plastic surgeon to get your confidence back

+1
Thank you for sharing your photos. You are a great candidate for a tummy tuck and might also consider liposuction of the back and flanks at the same time. Keep exercising and eating healthy for the best possible result. Best of luck!

Grant Stevens, MD