How to Find the Perfect Doctor to REDO Breast Implants?

I want to find the perfect physician to REDO my breast implants. I had them done about 10-14 years ago and they were perfect. I am so so sad now because they are totally different, they sag really bad and go to the side now. I have seen several doctors, and I'm scared and honestly not sure if i should trust them.

Also, I'm worried as they tell me what i want may not be achievable. I thought about finding out who someone like Pamela Anderson or Demi Moore went to and see if those physicians can help me. Can you help?

The "perfect" surgeon to redo breast implants!

+5

Please recognize that no surgeon, regardless of training, experience, celebrity patient list, or (high) cost, will EVER get a "perfect surgeon" badge or certificate in the mail. Any surgeon who operates will occasionally have less-than-perfect results, complications, non-compliant patients who increase the likelihood of the aforementioned problems, and even the rare unhappy patient. Only the honest ones may admit this, and the best ones keep those "less-than-perfect" results to a minimum. Since true plastic surgical training involves the longest number of years spent in additional training (after medical school) of any specialty or subspecialty, American Board of Plastic Surgery-certified plastic surgeons tend to be among the highest achievers in their medical school class, tend to have a higher standard for the surgical procedures that they do, and usually cost a bit more than "cosmetic surgeons" of other specialties who do not have full training in plastic surgery or proper ABPS board certification (but still perform cosmetic operations). Real Plastic surgeons may have more skill, ability, capability, confidence, and ego than their counterparts in other medical fields. Sometimes confident may border on cocky, but if any surgeon develops too high an opinion of him or herself, the bad karma of hubris gives them a bad result or unhappy patient that (hopefully) brings them back to reality. The best plastic surgeons are always striving to be better, and learn from each patient!

What I'm trying to tell you is that you will never find a "PERFECT" surgeon to do your breast revision. What you need to look for is the proper combination of training, ABPS board certification, experience, type of practice, capability, confidence, honesty, and humility to give you not only a "good feeling" after consulting with him or her, but your own awareness that in an imperfect world filled with imperfect people, there is a plastic surgeon who can meet your needs and expectations if you take the time to research your choice of doctor, but also if you take stock and understand that "perfection" is an unrealistic and impossible goal. "Perfect" is ALWAYS my goal, and I am gratified that when I am able to come really close in a majority of my patients and can improve every time, then I have done my best work!

BTW, just because a celebrity goes to a certain doctor in NO WAY gives you a higher likelihood of success; think about Tara Reid's surgeon, or Kanye West's mother Donda West's surgeon! There are great plastic surgeons in every location in the country (and around the world); Hollywood and LA may actually attract a higher share of undertrained or underqualified "cosmetic surgeons" hoping to capitalize on the attitude of "starlet A and starlet B went here, so perhaps if starlet hopeful C goes here . . ." Beware!

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/html/implant-revision.html

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Finding the "Perfect Doctor" is an Unrealistic Pursuit

+3

Perfection may be the goal,  but perfect is seldom achieved!

If perfection is the expectation, disappointment is a considerable risk.

There is no way to anticipate perfection, but:

1. get a couple of consultations
  2. with Board-Certified Plastic Surgeons
  3. with experience in breast revision or secondary breast implant surgery
  4. and, if possible, a reputation for excellence in secondary breast surgery
  5. if you can get personal or professional (from a doctor or nurse) referrals

Web reference: http://www.drzwiebel.com/denver-breast-augmentation-breast-implants

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Finding the best plastic surgeon for breast implant revision surgery in Los Angeles

+3

Breast augmentation revision surgery or breast implant replacement surgery is a difficult and challenging surgery. There are many factors that are important, beginning with your breasts. do you breasts sag, do you have capsular contracture of breast implants, do you have significant asymmetry. I recommend that you consult with several Board Certified Plastic Surgeons who routinely perform breast augmentation revision in Los Angeles. Make sure that they show you all types of results, including not their best results.

Web reference: http://www.beautifulself.com/breastaugmentation_placement.htm

How to choose the best surgeon for you.

+3

Ask your OBGYN for a recommendation. These physicians routinely see our work. Secondly, ask your friends. Once you have a list of names, check  for Plastic Surgery Board Certification. Make certain you are comfortable with the potential surgeon and the staff. Ask the surgeon  about their experience in breast revisions. It is important to keep in mind that we continue to age and gravity will set it. Discuss your expectations with your potential surgeon in depth so that you have a glad understand of what can be done for you. Best wishes!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Revisionary breast imploant surgery

+2

Revisionary breast implant surgery can be a difficult operation to perform for those plastic surgeons who don't do a lot of breast augmentation surgeries.  Some surgeons only feel comfortable placing the implants in the first initial operation.

Problems related to breast enhancement include capsular contracture, and asymmetry, external scarring and ptosis.  A good look at before and after photos and discussion with a few potential surgeons will give you an idea about which surgeon will be the most capable to handle your revision. 

good luck to you.

Kimberly Henry, M.D.

San Francisco, CA

Web reference: http://drkimberlyhenry.com

Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

Revision breast surgery requires special expertise

+2

Revision surgery for problems with implants is much more diificult that placing them in the first place. For this and other reasons, the biggest predictor of the need for a revision is the first revision. It is very important to get the first revision surgery right or you may end up in a cycle of revision surgeries, each one becoming more difficult because of scarring, etc. You should specifically ask surgeons you are considering whether revision surgery is a special interest of theirs, and then see if the recommendations make sense to you.

Finding the Perfect Surgeon for Breast Implant Revision

+2

It would be great if that could be done.  It is, in fact, very difficult to know how to advise someone in finding a surgeon.

It helps if you know someone who has had the procedure you're interested in.  Even that is not, of course, a guarantee, nor can there be one with any specific surgeon or procedure.  That, unfortunately, is just the way it is.

If you don't have a recommendation from a patient, you can contact your own physicians for recommendations in your community.  Dermatologists and OB-GYN's are, in my experience, particularly useful in this regard, but any physician may be able to help you.

Another source is Beauty Salon personnel - hairdressers, makeup artists, etc.  They may have seen the work of many different surgeons in your community, and be able to give you a different perspective.

The, you can use plastic surgery society information; in particular, surgery.org and plasticsurgery.org.

By using all of these methods, you should be able to come up with a list of doctors, often those whose names "just keep coming up."  Then you can go interview them, make sure you're on the same page, see examples of their work and, hopefully, be able to make a more informed decision than before you started this rather extensive process.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

How to find a doctor to revise breast implants

+2

I think that personal recommendation is usually best.  Failing that, look for a surgeon who is trained in plastic surgery by looking at the association websites and preferably, someone who specialises in breast surgery.  Good luck.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Fidning the best doctor

+2

FInding the right doctor for you can be difficult. You are best to go ona few consults and see who your feel most comfortable with, who has good results, and whose staff and doctor is available to you.  Good luck.

Consult several plastic surgeons

+2

Your best bet is to consult with several board certified plastic surgeons with considerable experience in revision breast surgery. Hopefully you will find a surgeon with whom you are comfortable.