Will Botox and Restylane Make my Face Look Older Once Wears Off?

Do you have to always inject Botox/Restylane once you start it? I want to use this on my forehead line and smile lines around cheeks only for my wedding. I know it might suit me and last about 6 months - 1 year. My question is do I have to continue doing it everytime or will I get my original face look with just those 3 wrinkles that I covered. I am definitely not interested in making this a life long routine or looking much older when the effect wears off or the white heads that some people have reported.

Botox and Restylane

+6

The best way to answer your question about "what your face will look like once the effect of Botox and/or Restylane wear off" is to ask you the following question:

How do you like the way you look now? Obviously, if you are content with that look then you do not need anything injected in your face for your wedding. If you do like the effects of these injectables, then you will have to have them repeated once their effect wears off.

The question you ask is like asking the following: Do I have to keep detailing my car forever once I have it detailed once? The answer is YES if you like the way the car looks when you get it detailed!

Your body is your sanctuary and you need to take care of it any way you deem is best for you: psychologically, spiritually and physically. Don't get swept by the tide because everybody else is getting injections in their face. Do what you think will get you through your wedding and whatever else is needed in the future can be dealt with later.

From a medical standpoint, once the effects of Botox and Restylane wear off, your face will NOT look older as you have suggested in your question.

Good luck on your wedding. I am sure you will make the right decisions.

Buffalo General Surgeon

How often you use Botox and fillers is entirely up to you

+4

You are not alone in your questions regarding the ongoing use of Botox and Restylane. Both Botox and Restylane offer temporary results and any use can be discontinued at your discretion. There is some evidence that Restylane and other dermal fillers can increase your own collagen to some degree and this may give a longer duration of wrinkle softening.

However, many patients find that they really like the softening of wrinkles and the refreshed appearance resulting from Botox and dermal fillers such as Restylane, that they choose to continue getting them with some degree of regularity.

We always recommend that patients don't have their injectables done just prior to an important event due to the possiblity of bruising, or in rare circumstances an undesired result. If you are considering Botox and Restylane prior to your wedding, you should probably be treated at least 1 month prior.

Always choose your provider with proper credentials in mind. You can visit www.surgery.org for information on members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons. The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) is the leading organization of board-certified plastic surgeons specializing in cosmetic plastic surgery. ASAPS Active-Member plastic surgeons are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.

Web reference: http://www.danmillsmd.com/

Botox and Restylane

+2

Hi Nikki. There were a couple misconceptions in your question..which was a good question. First off, Botox works only 3-4 months. Some people feel that they get 6 months out of it..but they are the exception. Restylane works 6 months to a year ..more on the 9 month side. Both are not permanent and need return visits for injections. Sculptra is a type of filler that has shown to last over 2 years. However if you want a magic shot that will reverse aging without needing anything again, there is nothing for that....botox, fillers, laser, surgery..None of them stop the aging process. Even when I do a facelift I tell patients, the moment I complete the procedure the aging process kicks back in and in time they may feel they need it again. This is a great question and an important concept for patients to understand. 

Washington DC Oculoplastic Surgeon

Absolutely not, expect improvement from both!

+2

Botox is like a skin-cast, and skin is a very dynamic organ. The new skin is laid down without the folds made by the muscle contraction. As long as good skin care is employed in the interval, your skin should look better than before even as the botox has worn off.

As for Restylane, the body reacts to the precise trauma of the injection, and collagen deposition is a typical response. Thus, there is likely some permanence from the procedure itself, and therefore an improvement should still be appreciated after the restylane has resorbed.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Do not worry

+2

Definitely having the injections done has no influence on deepening your wrinkles or creases on your face. You might not like going back to your previous image, but it is a personal choice. A lot of patients tends to get that instant liquid face lift before many celebrations to look young and fresh. Eventually effects of Botox and Restylane dissapear but you will just go back to your normal self rather than look older. You do not need to continue with treatments unless you like the effect

Will Botox and Restylane make my face look much older once it wears off?

+2
The results of Botox last approximately 4 months and the results of Restylane last approximately 6 months. Once the results of these injectables have worn off, your appearance should return to what it was before you had the injections. There is no reason to think that either Botox or Restylane will make you look older once it wears off.

When the botox and restylane wear off you'll look like you do now...

+1

if you're getting married or preparing for a special event, consider botox treatment about a month before your occasion...remember botox reaches its maximum effect in 2-3 weeks...if you need a touch up, you'll be perfect at 1 month...remember botox lasts between 3-4 months, not 6-12 months...and the restylane can be injected at the same time...that way if there's any bruising, it'll be gone by your wedding and the results will be at their peak...and remember fillers last about 6-12 months...finally when the material disappears, your skin will revert to what it looks like before your treatments began...there's no lasting effect with either...people talk about fillers stimulating collagen production, but it's a relatively insignificant amount...not clinically apparent...

Will my face look older after Botox and Restylane wear off?

+1

Thank you for the great question. In short, no, you will not look older once Botox and Restylane wear off.  Botox generally lasts 3 or 4 months, depending on the dose and the specific location of injections.  Restylane lasts anywhere from 6 to 9 months, depending on where it was placed and each patient's specific metabolism.  Some cumulative effects of these treatments have been described, so a percentage of patients may actually continue to look younger, even as treatments "wear off."  In most cases, however, your face will just return to its pre-treatment appearance. Best of luck!

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscofacialplasticsurgery.com/botox-cosmetic-and-dysport.php

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers and Toxins do not age you

+1

All of the current clinical information sys that you will not look any older than the natural aging process when you stop the injections. If you have been getting injections for 10 years and then stop, your skin will get to where it is supposed to be according to your age. But it will not make you look "older" as  a result of stopping the injections.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Age and Botox/Fillers

+1

You certainly can do Botox and fillers only once.  When the product wears off, the original state of your wrinkles will return, but they will not come back worse than they were prior to treatment.  However, when patients see the natural results they can achieve with Botox and filler, many of them want to continue maintaining that result.

Web reference: http://www.hallplasticsurgery.com/hyaluronic-acid-fillers-juvederm-austin.html