Long term affects of ipl use or things to watch or skin protection after treatment?

IPL Long Term Affects

+1

Thank you for your question. There haven't been any long term side effects seen with IPL treatments. I would recommend wearing daily sunscreen with zinc to prevent future damage and for safest treatments during your IPL series. I would recommend a  consult and treatment under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for best results and safest treatment options.  I hope this helps!

Bay Area Dermatologist

Appropriate skin care after IPL treatment

+1

Especially after treatment with IPL, you should be vigilant about protecting your skin from excessive sun exposure and sun damage.  An SPF 30 or greater should be used daily.  While IPL will reduce and eliminate pigmentation irregularities, with excessive sun exposure those irregularities can and will return.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Protecting the skin after IPL treatment

+1

It is great to see that you are doing proper research before having an IPL treatment. Potential side effects immediately following the treatment may include swelling, minor bruising, redness, and minor blistering. It is always advised to wear sunscreen at all times (especially right after your treatment), and avoid the sun if possible immediately following your treatment. Thank you, and I hope this helps!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Sunscreen

+1

It doesn't matter what treatment you undergo to improve your skin tone or texture, the most important thing you can use is daily sunscreen. Most patients think sunscreen when they are going to the beach, but sunscreen should be used daily. This will not only give protect your IPL investment but also protect you from future sun damaging aging changes and skin cancer.

Deidra Blanks, MD
Wilmington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Skin protection after IPL

+1

IPL ( intense pulsed light) therapy is a great treatment option for eliminating over all sun spots, brown spots and redness.

we recommend a series of treatments, usually start with 3 treatments spaced about 4-6 weeks apart.

we can generally eliminate 60-80% of unwanted spots and redness.

however, the most important element to consider before spending money on any photorejuvenation treatment is your day to day skin protection.

regardless of any procedure, it is important to use a daily sun protection.

a good sun protection would have the ingredients of a clear zinc oxide and/ or titanium dioxide. these ingredients are physical barriers to the suns harmful and spot producing rays.

these sunblocks should be applied every morning regardless of weather conditions and should be reapplied every 3 hours that you are outside....a wide brimmed hat and use of UV clothing is also helpful.

after spending money on eliminating our blemishes--we want to do everything possible to protect our investment.

your dermatology office will be able to point you in the right direction regarding which photorejuvenation treatment option and what type of sunscreen is best for you.

Kristen A. Richards, MD
La Jolla Dermatologist