Longevity of Stem Cell Facelift?

How does the longevity of results for a facelift using stem cells compared to traditional procedures? Which method requires less surgical procedures overall to preserve the results of a facelift indefinitely?

Stem Cell Facelift

+1
Stem Cell research is still in its infancy and unfortunately it will be many years before there are proven therapies that are effective.

Stem cell facelift is a theory and not a real procedure.

+1
Stem cell therapy is in the very early stages of development and is entirely a research tool at this point in time.

There has been no documented evidence or clinical study as yet to show the effectiveness of transplanting stem cells into the face.  At present time the benefits of injecting fat into the face are increase in fascial volume but documentation of overlying skin rejuvenation due to the effect of stem cells has not yet been demonstrated.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Stem cell facelift

+1
  • The stem cell facelift is more of a marketing term than a real surgery
  • Stem cells are contained within fat cells that are transferred to the face
  • You would have to be a good candidate for the procedure and if you are a candidate, results can last 5-10 years

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

Stem Cell Face Lifts

+1

This is impossible to answer as there is no scientific well controlled large patient size studies to prove that there are significant advantages. Also this technique is new so no long history to look at.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Longevity of Stem Cell Lift

+1

This a great question with no current answer.  Since there is no proof that there is any efficacy in a "stem cell lift", I would advise any patient of mine to stear clear of any marketing for this procedure. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Longevity of Stem Cell Facelift

+1

Since there is little scientific proof that they are injecting any significant amount of true stem cells, most likely it will be gone much sooner than a facelift where tissue are manually lifted and excess skin totally removed.

Julio Garcia, MD

What is "the Stem Cell Facelift"?

+1

Competition and the very common prevalence of a missing ethical backbone among many practitioners have led to the ever present term "Stem Cell Facelift" to supplement its so last year "Nonsurgical Facelift" and "Scarless Facelift". 

We know that our fat has a high concentration of pluripotential (cells which can become any other tissue) cells. We know that carefully harvested fat cells placed carefully under the ski may result in fuller younger appearing skin. But - different fat harvesting techniques result in vastly different stem cell numbers in the fat grafts. Which techniques should be qualify as stem cell transfers and which are merely fat transfers? The American Society of Plastic Surgeons takes a dim view of surgeons who try and mislead the public with crappy, misleading and financially motivated marketing. The "Stem Cell Facelift" is a prime example why.

I would avoid doctors advertising such a procedure. If someone is unethical in their marketing could they be unethical in other aspects of their professional conduct? You decide.

I'm waiting to see the next marketing step - the "nonsurgical, lunchtime we-are-not-kidding-full-money-back-guarantee-what-do-you-have-to-lose laser Stem Cell Facelift".

Longevity of stem cell facelifts

+1

Although no good long-term studies have been performed to date it is likely the case that facelifts with fat grafting (whether or not stem cells are present in the fat) appears to give longer lasting results.

Sam Naficy, MD

Stem cell lift vs traditional techniques

+1

Your question is an excellent question, and the fact of the matter is that no one knows.  Whenever a new technique arises, it is our responsibility as physicians to keep up with the technology, assess the technology, assess the safety of the technology, and assess the efficacy of new technologies before adopting them.  Stem cells are catch phrases and everyone is throwing them down.  I think in the long-term stem cells will be an adjunct to traditional facelifting procedures just as restylane and radiesse is useful after a facelift to enhance the result.  I do not think that a stem cell lift will replace a traditional face lift.  If you want something that is a sure bet..go for the gold standard.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift - Longevity of Stem Cell Facelift?

+1

Excellent question - but no excellent answer.  Stem Cells are the current catchwords and they are being applied - as are the cells themselves - to nearly every procedure.  While there is much to be excited about there is, thus far, relatively little long term scientific proof that supports those claims.  So it's that much more difficult to assess precisely the impact of those treatments.

At present I would view Stem Cell treatments as a potentially valuable adjunct to more traditional techniques.  If we (the scientific community, not me!) start getting consistently better or more prolonged results when Stem Cells have been incorporated into the techniques, then doctors' advice will have to be adjusted accordingly.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS