How Much Longer Than Botox Injections Does a Dysport Procedure for Crow's Feet Last?

Botox versus Dysport

I have found that the only difference between Botox And Dysport is that the Dysport seems to take effect a few days before Botox. A far as longevity, they both are about the same. I want to preface one thing though, every person is different with all medications.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport Vs Botox

Botox and Dysport both work similarly in that they temporarily immobilize muscles that create wrinkles but there are some differences: Dysport is said to work more quickly than Botox (within 1 to 3 days as compared with the 3 to 5 days of Botox). Dysport is also said to diffuse (spread) more quickly, making it a better option for areas like crow’s feet which fan out over a larger area on the face. The result will usually last about three to four months at which point the muscle action gradually returns and the lines and wrinkles begin to reappear.

Dennis Gross, MD

Dysport lasts the same as Botox

All things being equal, the results should be the same--if an equivalent number of units and dilution is used. I do not find one product to be significantly better than the other.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

There seems to be little to no difference between Dysport and Botox in terms of longevity.  The effects of each tend to last 3-4 months.  

Sam Naficy, MD

No real difference

I believe there is little difference between the two products in terms of duration, with each lasting in the range of 3 to 4 months.  Some practitioners feel the onset of action is slightly faster with Dysport, perhaps by a day.  I feel they can be used interchangeably.

Jeffrey Sturza, MD

Dysport vs. Botox which lasts longer

I could not detect a difference in Botox and Dysport longevity when patients agreed to study a side-by-side comparison on their forehead. The dysport patients had a few that acted one day sooner, but the longevity was similar.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Dysport vs Botox longevity

Dysport and Botox have been shown to last the same amount of time, typically lasting 3-4 months. Although the lasting effects of Dysport and Botox are the same; some cases have shown that the initial results of Dysport begin to show quicker than that of Botox.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Duration of Effect Botox vs Dysport

My patients overwhelmingly tell me, "I can't tell the difference".  Botox and Dysport are the same drug at their core, botulinum toxin type A.  They both do the same thing to the nerve and the rate of recovery is independent of the brand.  The human body builds a new nerve tip after being treated and that process typically takes 3 months regardless of which product deactivated the original nerve tip.  If the product was not dosed sufficiently to de-activate all of the nerves, then there will be a faster recovery, but this is a dose dependent response, not a brand dependent response.  A "complete" treatment will last the same amount of time with both brands.  I have seen this take between 2 months and 8 months, but 3 or 4 is the norm.  

The time the result lasts is not always the same.  Some patients will get 3 months one time and 5 months the next time, despite the same brand and the same amount of product.  No one can explain this.  Don't think that because you got Dysport and it lasted 5 months and the Botox treatment you had earlier only lasted 3 months, that Dysport lasts longer.  It could very easily go right back to 3 months on your next Dysport treatment.

It is true, however that dysport takes affect faster.  This is probably related to the "delivery" protein.  Botox and Dysport do not use the same "delivery" protein attached to the botulinum protein.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs Dysport and duration

The national average for both Botox and Dysport is about 4 months.  This will of course vary among patients as well as the treated area.

Lori Stetler, MD
Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox vs dysport

I have found from personal experience that dysport lasts slightly longer than botox. Every patient is different but I see fewer patients coming back on the short term saying that their movement is back with Dysport than I did with Botox. Dysport does seem to start up faster after injection.