How Long is Your Downtime After Lipo/TT? Do You Have to Get a TT when Getting Lipo on Tummy?

I'm 5'5 & currently 210 lbs most of my fat is n my tummy, since I had my son 3yrs ago haven't been able to lose it. I've tried everything. I do have sum arm fat that jiggly stuff. But overall majority of my fat is n my stomach & boobs if there's a such thing, which I truely believe cause there just to big.

Downtime after tummy tuck / Pausa en las actividades despues de abdominoplastia

+4

You should not have major downtime after a tummy tuck.  Of course you will not be running a marathon or bench pressing 400 lbs the day after surgery.  All my patients are walking the day of surgery.  Gradually increasing activity until minimal restrictions around 6 weeks.  In your case you will need both a tummy tuck and liposuction.  Remember surgery is not a substitute for a healthy lifestyle.

Good luck and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

No debe de haver una gran pausa en sus actividades despues de una abdominoplastia. Claro que usted no va correr un maraton o levantar 400 lbs el dia siguiente de cirugia. Todos mis pacientes caminan el mismo dia de su cirugia. Gradualmente usted puede ir aumentando sus actividades con algunas restricciones hasta la sexta semana. En su caso usted va necesitar una abdominoplastia combinada con liposuccion. Acuerdese de que una cirugia no sustituye un estilo de vida saludable.

Suerte y gracias por la pregunta

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Tummy Tuck Better for Post-Pregnancy Body

+2
Depending on how much liposuction you need and how extensive your tummy tuck is, you can expect an average of about 5 days or up to 3 weeks of downtime if it's an extensive tummy tuck. You'll probably need to take this time off of work, during which time you'll need to get rest and take brief leisurely walks to help your circulation. You may require less or more downtime depending on your rate of healing, but the time frames I provided here are just the average.

It's not necessary to get a tummy tuck if you have liposuction on your stomach, however it sounds like you're battling post-pregnancy changes to your body. Often, fat in the abdominal area following pregnancy is accompanied by loose skin and maybe weak muscles as well. For this reason, you may need to get a tummy tuck along with liposuction just so that you can achieve a better stomach contour. While a tummy tuck generally involves longer downtime, you'll find that it's much better in achieving the results you want.
By the way, you can also get liposuction or a breast lift for your breasts to address their size.

Good luck!

Jerome Edelstein, MD

You need to lose more weight - try something drastic

+2

210 and 5'5" is still too heavy. Sure, you could have a tummy tuck, but better to lose the weight, then if you need it surgically remove the loose hanging skin, and then look fantastic.

I have a lot of patients that get stuck at a high weight, especially after kids. You need to try a more drastic change to get your body out of the rut, such as Insanity, P90X, or some such intense multimonth regimen. That way you can't lie to yourself and say you've tried everything if you didn't-  do the regimen, complete it, then we will see! Combining these with no or low carb diets is very intense (never low calorie) and will give you the biggest loss. Don't have plastic surgery when what you really need is to lose weight!

Lisa B. Cassileth, MD

Would Liposuction Do Or Do You Always Need A Tummy Tuck?

+2

As I read your question, you have done everything you can do to lose your post baby fat which is located mainly on your abdomen.  You are wanting to know the down time after a tummy tuck or liposuction, and secondly, you are questioning whether liposuction will sometimes be sufficient or do you always need a tummy tuck.

First, if you are young and you have good tones to your abdomen after pregnancy, at times liposuction may be all you need to get rid of the fat, and an advantage here is that you can liposuction the upper as well as the lower portion of your abdomen at the same time.  However, having a tummy tuck would, more often, be the correct answer, but only an in person physical exam by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would truly allow you to decide which one is right for you. 

Second, sometimes you need both liposuction and a tummy tuck at two separate surgeries.  In this case, since you tried everything to lose the fat, depending on your skin tone, age, etc., you may consider doing a liposuction first.  Again, this decision is between you and your plastic surgeon. 

Third, the down time for liposuction alone is about 4 - 5 days, and I would assume if you are having lipo of your abdomen, you certainly would want to have lipo of your hips (muffin tops) as the two always come as a package deal. 

Lastly, if you are going to have a tummy tuck, the down time depends on your age and health, and obviously each plastic surgeon has his own experience and rules.  I find that age plays a great factor in this, all other things being equal.  25 year olds are down for about 7 days, 35 year olds are down for about 10 days to 2 weeks, and women over 50 have a much slower recovery. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Downtime for tummy tuck and liposuction is about 2 weeks

+2

Everyone has different definitions of what downtime is.  For some its when they can go back to exercising for others its when they can move around and go out in a near normal fashion.  In general, I tell my patients that a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) will require about  2 weeks of downtime.  During these two weeks you are mainly home bound recovering.  The abdominal binder is worn for 4 weeks, the drain stays in for about 1 week, and activity in terms if vigorous exercise is refrained from for 4 weeks.  Liposuction recovery time is less than a tummy tuck, however, the compression garment also needs to be used for the same amount of time.

Dr Remus Repta 

Remus Repta, MD

Recovery after Tummy tuck and lipo

+2

Although a formal consultation is required to make any recommendations, generally speaking, my patients are encouraged to walk immediately after surgery.  patients walk flexed at their waist and lie in the lawnchair position.  Most patients can straighten gradually over the next 5-7 days.  Most patients are feeling pretty good in 1 week.  But I recommend no heavy lifting our strenuous activity for 5-6 weeks.  Hope this helps.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Timing?

+2

Although it is not possible to give you precise advice without direct examination, I think it is safe to say that you will be better off reaching your long-term stable weight prior to undergoing any body contouring surgery. You may be better off seeking consultation with  your internist, personal trainers,  or nutritionists  as opposed to plastic surgeons at this point.

Undergoing surgery when you reach a long-term stable weight will improve the safety of the procedure and minimize the chances that further surgery will be necessary down the line.

Again, physical examination will be necessary to provide you with good advice but based on your history of pregnancy and probable weight loss is likely that you will be better off with a tummy tuck operation plus/minus level suction surgery as well.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area.

Downtime after tummy tuck

+1

I have my patients take three weeks of work off when planning for a tummy tuck. That does not mean that they are sitting in bed, they are encouraged to move around the house from the first day. How many chores they do at any given time depends on a lot of factors. From your desciption, you are going to have a lot removed, so I would expect you to be on the slower side. 

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Downtime after a Tummy Tuck

+1

Hi there-

Most patients need to be off of administrative duties for about a week after liposuction, and 2 weeks after a tummy tuck. 

As far as your goals and your candidacy for the procedure, I recommend you visit a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation and guidance along the path to your goals.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Lipo and tummy tuck down time

+1

Dear EMwynn,

The logical sequence of surgery , in my opinion, is tummy tuck first, followed by liposuction if necessary, 6-8 weeks later. Tummy tuck  will bring significant weight loss due to the muscle tightening that will reduce your hunger feeling and the amount of food that you can eat. So, you might not even need to have liposuction. If you do liposuction first, you are not going to get a smooth and even result because of the skin looseness. Also, the scarring under the skin from the liposuction will stiffen up the skin and it will be difficult to get a nicely tight stomach with the tummy tuck. Additionaly, from the tummy tuck,  you might have a vertical scar in the lower abdomen, resulting from the inability to bring the navel incision down to the pubic bone area. Combination of tummy tuck and liposuction , increases the complication rate due to circulation damage to the skin flap and higher rate of blood clots. Down time for tummy tuck - 1 week for light duty work and 6 weeks for heavy duty lifting and exercise. Down time for liposuction - 3-4 days for light duty and 2 weeks for exercise . Be sure to select an experienced board certified plastic surgeo.

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon