How Long Do I Have to Wait to Have a Tummy Tuck After my Csection in September 2012? (photo)

In september I will be having my 4th c-section and I am only 23 but will be 24 at that time. I am at 136 as my weight and im 5'1. My normal weight before my first child was 98 pounds and after I had him my normal weight became around 115-120. I swear and I am not lying my excess skin weighs about 10-15 pounds. I am currently pregnant but because this is a 4th csection for me I am for sure done with having kids. So im ready to do this. Please someone fix me!!

Timing of Tummy Tuck after C-Section

+1

A Tummy Tuck is an elective cosmetic procedure which is best done in women who have completed their families, have been in stable weight with a BMI below 30 and who are in good health and do not smoke. I would recommend you wait at least 6 months after your C-section to allow the surgical swelling to resolve and area to heal before undergoing your Tummy Tuck. This would not only be safer but should result in a nicer result.

Good Luck

Peter A Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

How long should you wait after C-section for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Generally most patients that have had C-sections and have healed without complicating factors are easily candidates within 3-6 months following their surgery.  Variables include weight status and whether the patient has returned to their desirable weight.  

Michael C. Fasching, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after C-Section Waiting Period

+1

I would recommend waiting until your post pregnancy weight has stabilized and you are back to your normal exercise routine and  at least 6 or more months after your C-section for a Tummy Tuck. This waiting period allows for complete healing and contraction of your distended skin and muscles to return to shape.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Timing for a tummy tuck after a c-section

+1

I would recommend waiting about 3 months after your c-section before proceeding with a tummy tuck.  That way, you'll have had plenty of time to heal from the delivery.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Wait 6 or more months after C-section before tummy tuck.

+1

Waiting 6 or more months after your C-section before having a tummy tuck will be beneficial to you in several ways.  It will allow you to recover from you C-section and the tissues to contract as much as they can.  The hormonal changes of pregnancy will have receded and lower your risk of blood clots in your legs.  You will have a chance to get closer to your ideal body weight so the results of your surgery are the best they can be.  You will have a chance to enjoy your new baby and make arrangements for help with your other children for after your tummy tuck as you should plan on not doing any lifting for 4 - 6 weeks.  Plan on the excess skin weighing about 3 - 5 lbs at most. You look like an excellent candidate for  full tummy tuck and you may consider liposuction of your flanks to improve your waist contour.  Seeing a board certified plastic surgeon is a must for this planned surgery.  Good luck.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Timing for Abdominoplasty after C Section

+1

You are now over six months after your C Section. From a strict timing standpoint you can proceed. You have gained some weight from the pregnancy and if your weight is close to your pre pregnancy weight you may proceed.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Wait at least three months after a C-section to have a tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. It is important to wait several months after have a C-section to have a tummy tuck and you need to have lost most of your pregnancy weight. Based on your photographs, you look like you will be a very good candidate for a standard tummy tuck as long as you are otherwise healthy and are not smoking. Unfortunately, your excess skin will likely only weigh five pounds or less. Make sure that you see a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after C section

+1
It is important to recuperate from childbirth and lose the baby weight before having a tummy tuck. I recommend a minimum of six months, possibly longer if you breast feed. Given that you will have four young children, plan on having child card arrangements in place because you will not be able to lift or carry them for at least 3-4 weeks. Your excess skin weighs a lot less than you think! Good luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

How Long Do I Have to Wait to Have a Tummy Tuck After my Csection in September 2012?

+1

Thanks for the posted life photos. I feel at least 4 to 6 months is the minimum time wait after a C-section. Seek a few in erson consults after the birth.