How Long Do I Have to Wear the Compression Garment? Do I Wear It While Working Out?

I had my liposuction w tumescent 4 wks ago. I have worn the compression garment religiously everyday x 24hrs. I had a very tiny umbilical hernia requiring 1-2 stitches. My surgeon says 4wks is OK to return to exercising w/o worrying. My question is, do I wear the compression garment while I work out? I weight train 2 x wk & jog 3-4 miles 3-5 days a wk normally. Or I spin for 1hr as an alternative to cardio. How long do I have to wear the compression garment?MD suggests 8-12 wks. I miss workouts

Wear Compression Garment for 3-4 Weeks Following Liposuction

+1

Patients who undergo tumescent liposuction can expect swelling and discomfort following this procedure.  In an effort to decrease swelling, most surgeons utilize compression garments in the post-operative period.  Although each patient should be considered individually, we generally recommend three to four weeks of compression following liposuction.

Compression minimizes swelling and decreases post-operative pain.  It helps to remodel the soft tissue by collapsing tunnels created by the liposuction cannula during the procedure.  Compression contributes significantly to the contour improvement seen with this procedure.

Although resumption of normal activity is an important part of recovery, we generally don’t recommend resumption of strenuous activities for at least 6 to 8 weeks following surgery.  At this point in time, the majority of patients are no longer wearing compression garments.

It’s important to realize that recovery times vary from patient to patient.  In some cases patients may wear support garments for longer periods of time.  Under these circumstances workouts can be performed while still wearing these garments.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after lipo

+1

Typically I have my patients wear the compression garment for up to 4-6 weeks. Some prefer to wear it longer because of comfort and the support it offers. This may be the case with you while working out. I believe it is the surgery, not the compression device that provides the results so I am pretty lenient on the compression. In regards to your hernia, typically no heavy lifting or sit ups for 6 weeks should be long enough to heal that small area, but I would follow the advice of your surgeon. Congrats on the lipo.

Michael Burgdorf, MD

Garment after liposuction

+1

Dear Animalover,

You should be able to discontinue the garments after 4 weeks. I tell my patients that 2 weeks are enough and they can resume all exercises too.

I would be more concerned about your umbilical hernia repair: most surgeons would tell you to not exercise for up to 6 weeks after surgery, so the repair heals adequately.

Good luck with the recovery,

Florence Mussat, MD

Florence Mussat, MD

How long to wear Compression Garment

+1

I let patients wear the garment at their own discretion after the 3rd week following surgery. As concerns the hernia surgery, that really is the responsibility of your surgeon, although resuming exercise at 4 weeks after a small umbilical hernia repair seems reasonable. To be safe, you could avoid heavy lifting for another month and just resume the aerobic exercise. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Compression Garment after Lipo

+1

Since you had an umbilical hernia, you want to do everything possible to keep it from coming back. I would suggest you call your doctor's office for clarification.

Otherwise, without a hernia, the garment can be discontinued two or three DAYS after the drainage stops. We learned this from people that did not follow the original instructions "wear the garment for a month", came back for their follow-up, and had done fine with only a few days of wearing the garment.

You can of course wear it longer if it makes you feel more comfortable.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon