How Long Do You Wear a Compression Garment After at TT with Lipo?

How long does a patient need to wear a compression garment after a full TT with flank lipo? What garment do you recommend at 8wks to wear the Spanx or some other garment?

Compression after Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

+2

There is NO agreed upon, iron-clad, duration which every American Plastic surgeon recommends for his patients. Some Plastic surgeons do NOT use compression immediately after surgeons while others do. Some use it for 4 weeks or so others extend it longer. ( A colleague of mine in South American recommends 3 months of compression). Great results are obtained REGARDLESS of the duration of compression. I would therefore recommend you follow the exact recommendations of YOUR Plastic surgeons since he/she should guide your path through Plastic Surgery to a successful and mutually satisfying outcome for you both.

Good Luck.

Peter Aldea, MD
Memphis, TN

Garmet after TT and lipo

+1

This is a very common question that will most likely acquire many different answers because every surgeon has their own preferences.  I keep my patients in an abdominal binder for three weeks and then downgrade them to Spanx for an additional 3 weeks.  Many people continue to wear the spanx because they like the support and get used to it. I hope this helps!

kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel 

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Compression Garment After Tummy Tuck Surgery

+1

The answer to this question varies depending on your surgeon. Some surgeons do not use compression garments while others use them for an extended period of time. In my practice, I ask patients to wear a compression garment for 6-8 weeks after surgery.  The surgical binder for the first 2-4 weeks followed by Spanx.  I would suggest that you follow the advice of your surgeon as he/she has your best interest in mind and knows your history best.

+1

There is a lot of variability of recommendations among surgeons, but I would say an average is six weeks. However, I would sooner heed the suggestion of your own surgeon who knows the nature of the operation and your healing best.

I find Spanx to be perfectly acceptable as a substitute. They can be a bit more difficult to put on and off early on, or I would use have patients use them from day one.

Thanks for the question, best wishes.