How Long Will I Have to Wear Braces for a Overbite?

My problem is my overbite. In am a tongue thruster and my tongue has pushed my teeth outward. It sometimes affects my breathing especially at night when I am sleep I have to sleep with my mouth open. I know I need braces but I would like to know about how long will I need them?

Adverse habits such as poor tongue posture and mouth breathing must be corrected before finishing with braces!

+1

Dear Dise,

The problems you describe in your question are ones that will cause a great deal of instability with any treatment.  You could start the process of treatment prior to elimination of these adverse habits, but you should only do so with a plan to eliminate both the adverse tongue posture and the mouth breathing.  If your mouth breathing habit is due to nasal obstruction, then that problem needs to be addressed prior to braces.  More than likely you upper jaw is narrow and needs to be widened.  This could be done by using Dentofacial Orthopedic Appliances to widen the jaw which also widens the nasal passageway.  We do this procedure on adults as well as young patients.  Your situation is complex and should be evaluated by a competent orthodontist who appreciates your upper airway problem.  I know this is an incomplete answer, but I have a whole chapter on this subject in a new book I have in progress.

Denver Orthodontist

Depends on Many Factors

+1

It depends on the following factors:

Extent of overbite
Age of patient
Compliance of wearing auxillaries (i.e. rubber bands, headgear, orthopedic correctors, etc.)

A rough estimate is several months to years.  The best thing to do is to see an orthodontist for an evaluation of your overbite.

San Francisco Orthodontist