How Long Should You Wear a Bandage over Your Breast Following Exchange Surgery, Tissue Expanders for Silicone Implants?

I had a double mastectomy about 5 1/2 months ago with immediate reconstruction. Almost two months ago, silicone implants replaced my tissue expanders. My healing has gone very well, but I am wondering how long I should wear a bandage over my left breast that was radiated many years ago. My plastic surgeon created a deeper pocket on this side in order to allow the implant to drop lower due to the tightness of the chest wall muscle. Also, is it safe to wear underwire bras?

How long to wear a bandage over the (radiated) breast ?

+2

Our answers to your question may confuse you more than help you.

Because as Surgeons we have very strong opinions based on  experiences which guide us in our postoperative care. The best for you is to follow your surgeons recommendations as he knows your breast(s), your  tissues, the procedure he performed  the best. That does not mean that you cannot  ask questions why his postoperative care is the way it is.  An experienced and reputable Plastic Surgeon will  have  good reasons why and should be able to explain them in a way that you understand.

Good luck to you !

Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Tissue Expander to Implant exchange

+2

Every surgeon does things slightly differently but I usually have patients keep their bandage over the wound for 48 hours - this is when the skin should be healed over and water-tight.  Then I have my patients wear the surgical bra for 6 weeks.  This is the time needed to have the scar (on the inside and the outside) become the strongest will be.  At this point, I believe it is safe to wear an underwire bra.  Good luck! K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Bandage and breast reconstruction

+2

I think it is best to speak with your surgeon regarding how long to wear a bandage around your breasts after srugery.  Good luck.

Bandages after surgery

+2

It depends on your surgeons protocol. Usually 24-48 hrs is all that is needed for a closed wound until the epithelium covers the incisions. After that it is more to keep your clothes clean and protect the sensitive skin.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Every Surgeon is Different!

+1

In this case, you should definitely follow your surgeon's instructions since every surgeon has a different approach to follow up care. It is typical to wear the bandage for 48 hours after surgery and the post surgical bra for up to 6 weeks. However, your surgeon should know what is best for your specific case.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Underwire Bras and Bandage after 2 Months

+1

I usually remove dressings in the first few days and change to something else.  I do not recommend underwire bras at this stage in healing, but your plastic surgeon may have different ideas.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA