How Long Should I Wait to Get a Tummy Tuck Now That I Have Lost Weight? (photo)

I have been working on my weight loss for 10 months now. I have lost 38 lbs, I go to a gym and have been going for a month and a half, I do work with a trainer two times a week. How long should I wait to get a tummy tuck? 19 years ago I had a ovarian cyst and the dr. cut me from the top of my belly button to the top of my pubic area, since then I have had a pouch not a flat stomach. I know I am going to need to get the excess skin cut off so I can have the desried flat stomach I want.

Tummy Tuck after Vertical Scar

+1

Many patients have an infraumbilical vertical scar from either hysterectomy or C-section or other surgery.  The tummy tuck produces a much better abdominal contour and a much more acceptable scar.

Tummy tuck

+1

You are ready!! You have done everything that you can to maximize your results. Once the vertical scar is excised you will look even better

Timing of tummy tuck after weight loss.

+1

If you are close to your goal weight (within 10-15 lbs.) you should be a good candidate to proceed with a tummy tuck. Congratulations on your hard work and accomplishment.

The tummy tuck will also remove the ovarian cyst surgery scar and help to really flatten your tummy. This will be a great reward for your efforts to improve  your life.

Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Weight and tummy tuck

+1

I would say that you are good to go.  If you are at your ideal weight or close to it, there is no advantage to waiting.  It should be possible to remove all of the skin and fat from the belly button to the groin crease.  That will take your midline abdominal scar and correct most of the issues that  you have with your tummy.  

You should do great. Congratulations on your weight loss success.

Doug Hargrave, M.D.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

How Long Should I Wait to Get a Tummy Tuck Now That I Have Lost Weight? (photo) I have been working on my weight loss for 10 mo

+1

The best time is when you have attained your goal weight, or are at least within 10- 15 pounds of that. I suspect that at the time of your surgery the entire vertical scar can be removed. and that you should expect quite a dramatic improvement!  Congratulations on the weight loss. 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank you for your question, best wishes.