How Long Should I Wait for a Tummy Tuck After Having a C Section?

Im having a C section in one week, and I wanted to know how long do I have to wait for a full tummy tuck, or if it's even possible to have one?

+3

Dear Melissa1231,

A tummy tuck is certainly possible following Caesarean section. I would advise waiting at least 6-12 months after your Caesarean section before having the tummy tuck to allow your body to recover from the pregnancy and to lose the extra weight gained.

As an aside, women occasionally choose to have a mini or full tummy tuck at the same time as their Caesarean section. I generally do not recommend this as the results are not as optimal and the risks are somewhat increased.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your history and description, you will likely be a good candidate for “mommy makeover” surgery at some point.  Best to wait at least 6 months to one year prior to seeking consultation with board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly as well. Make sure that you are aware that this operation is associated with a very significant physical and emotional recovery period. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  For most patients in your situation I also use liposuction surgery as a contouring tool, most often used in the flank areas, mid-epigastric areas and pubic areas. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy Tuck San Diego

+1

After your C-section, you will have a new human being that needs 100% of your attention.  For this reason, I would delay tummy tuck until you feel comfortable delegating the attention your baby needs to another trusted adult.  Beyond that, strongly consider delaying tummy tuck until after your last pregnancy.  Six months or longer to heal from C-section also advised, in my opinion.

Steve Laverson, MD

C-section to TT, how long?

+1

I like to give the body at least 6 months to recover after a c-section.  Aside from the recovery your own body will need after a pregnancy and major surgery, you will have a baby to care for.  You will be sleep deprived and busy the first few months.  Are you going to breast feed?  Wait until you are done with that.  Don't be in a rush.  Give yourself and your baby plenty of time.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Tummy tuck after C- section

+1
It is really tempting to have a tummy tuck really soon after a C-section. I really think that it's best to wait at least 6 months. This way your body will have time to recover ie the final shape of your abdomen will be evident. In addition, you will likely loose weight after the birth of your child and it's always best to be at your pre pregnancy weight before you have any abdominal plastic surgery.

Michael Weinberg, MD

Tummy tuck after c-section in Los Angeles

+1

many women who have been pregnant want to get their old body back as soon after they deliver. I recommend that you wait at least 2-3 months after your deliveray in order to make sure that the size of uterus returns to normal and your adominal inflammantion subsides. You also need to wait until after you are done with breast feeding since you can not get anesthetics if you are breast feedling.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS