How Long Do I Have to Wait to Have a Tubal Ligation After I've Had a Tummy Tuck?

I am 2 weeks Post-Op Tummy Tuck/Lipo, Breast Lift/Breast Aug. So far, so good. I feel great and I'm healing beautifully. Now, I am seriously considering getting a Tubal Ligation. How long would I have to wait until I can have surgery again? And, could it possibly ruin my TT results? Thank you in advance for your time.

Tubal ligation after surgery.

+2

Waiting for your abdomen to heal before a tubal ligation is paramount.  For most people 6-8 weeks should be more than adequate. Your belly button could have a change in shape after the tubal ligation.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD

Tubal ligation after tummy tuck

+1

You should wait at least 6 weeks.

This is because of how we heal. 

At two weeks after surgery, your tissues have 70% of their final strength.

At 6 weeks, your body starts removing healing collagen and replaces it with permanent collagen - swelling goes down a lot, making your second surgery easier.

For a laparoscopic tubal ligation, I ask my patients to wait 3 months because laparoscopy injects air that can stretch even strong, normal tissues. I don't want a second operation damaging the first one.

But every surgeon does things differently. You're doing well, so ask your surgeon what is best for you. Best wishes!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Tubal Ligation After Tummy Tuck?

+1

Dear zz in socal,

Congrats on your mommy makeover! Most of us would prefer that your tummy tuck incisions and surgical fields be well healed before you proceed with your tubal ligation. This is most likely going to take 2-3 months. I would suggest that you follow up with your plastic surgeon and make sure they give you the clearance before you schedule with your OB/GYN surgeon. There is a small risk that your belly button shape may be altered. Other than that, your results should not change.Discuss this with both your surgeons. Good luck.

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tubal ligation after TT

+1

Check with your gynecologist and your plastic surgeon. Chances are they will both want you to wait 6 to 12 seeks. 

You want the surgical fields to be well healed. What you don't want to happen is for your gyn to find and unsuspected fluid collection that might unnecessarily increase the risks of your procedure..

Otherwise, it is difficult to imagine disturbing your results.

Hello

+1

We like to tell our patients that if your healing well, and there is no rush to wait at least 6 weeks. Every doctor is different you should ask your PS.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS