How Long Should I Wait to Do Scar Laser Treatment? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck & breast lift 4 years ago & my scars are dark in some areas & have a few slightly raised spots. I'm getting a breast augmentation done in Dec/Jan & want to wait until that is complete to do the laser. How long should I let the scars form from my BA form before doing the treatment? I've always scarred dark & I think I'll respond wonderfully to laser treatment. My scar is higher due to a tattoo I had on my stomach. (My PS didn't want to leave a lizard's butt on me thakfully!)

Laser after Surgery

+1

Laser may be reasonable after the initial phase of scar healing is complete at the 6 week mark in an uncomplicated case.  However, I usually recommend waiting longer, because time will usually be the best help, particularly in a good scar former.

Laser for Scars

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.

I generally ask patients to give their body time to heal and scars do improve for up to one year post op surgery. You may find that your breast augmentation scar does not need laser treatment.

Give your body at least 6 months to heal prior to considering this.

Best Wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Laser scars after breast augmentation

+1

I would think 8 weeks after breast augmentation it would be ok to laser the scars. You may want to wait longer on the new scar used to place the implants.Good Luck!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Scar Laser Treatment?? The dark scar is areolar pigment!!

+1

Most of your scars are normal appearing. The pigmented area that is noticeable is the vertical scar from the mastopexy, and this is not a dark scar, but rather some of the original areolar skin that is more pigmented than the rest of your skin. This is a common occurrence with mastopexy in patients whose areolas are large--there is too much skin to close the incision if all the areolar pigment had been removed. 

Later, when the skin is more lax, this can be removed, and for you this can be done at the time of the breast aug. Then, give your scars 3 to 6 months and decide if you want any laser treatment.

Thanks, best wishes.

Improving breast scars on the areola and underneath the breast

+1

Early laser treatment of breast scars can improve the texture and color of scars before they get worse.  

Web reference: http://surgery90210.com/cosmetic-dermatology/27/skin-cancer.aspx

Mommy Makeover - scar laser treatment

+1

Before l send my patients over to our laser nurse I wait 2-3 months.  That timeline seems to allow healing to proceed to the point were laser would not cause any issues yet early enough to affect the pigment in the inflammatory process.

Now is a good time to start your scar treatment.

+1

Generally we start scar treatments a year after surgery in my clinic.  Your scars could respond well to IPL or Fractional Laser treatments to lighten the pigmentation of the scar.  A lightening cream such as hydroquinone could also help.  If you have raised spots, injection with steroid could also help.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon