How Long Must I Wait to Replace my Implants After Having Just Undergone Surgery?

Five weeks ago I had a modest breast augmentation. I only wanted a little bit more fullness, so my surgeon recommended these new (2013) anatomical, form stable ones (Mentor MemoryShape breast implants) for a more natural look. I chose very small, 180cc, and he went under the muscle with the incision under the breast at crease. Although I like how they look, they are so firm and barely move! I don't think I can live with this firmness. When is the soonest that I can place them with something softer?

Re-do augmentation

+2

If you are unhappy with the size, (180 cc was very conservative) you can certainly use a larger volume implant.  If the Mentor "gummy bear" device is too firm, then switch back to a standard gel implant (i.e. Mentor MemoryGel).  Speak with your surgeon about your situation.  I think you can schedule your implant exchange at any time after the initial post-op inflammation has settled.

Implants too firm and don't move...

+1

Anatomic textured gel implants should not move after surgery.  If you want a more natural look (though you do have great oblique look) round implants could be used as they move more freely and are 'softer'.  Ask your surgeon to show you how firm the implant you have is (implants usually available for doctors to show patients) and if your breast is firmer, give yourself time to heal.  If you breast feels just like that implant, then you have to decide just how important feel is as opposed to looks since you do look good.

Implants early post-op

+1

At five weeks post-op, your breasts will certainly feel a bit firm, and will take several months to settle down.

+1

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource. Medically speaking, you should be able to undergo removal/replacement at any time. Make sure that you communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon. In my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures  to improve the communication process.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm