How Long Should I Wait to Get Photo Dynamic Therapy?

Hi and thank you for any time given to my question. I was on accutane for 2 months straight 40mgs for 160pound male then 60mgs the second month. My dermatologist took me off the drug for 2 months until I got looked at by another doc who dismissed my problem a blood test showed. My derm put me back on the drug I went back on for about 2-3 weeks 60mgs. Until I stopped for about a week then took 2 days more and stopped today because I worry about getting side effects. So should I wait half as long?

PDT acne cosmetic

+1

I usually recemmend waiting 6 months.

There are two ways to use PDT for acne:

1. Blu-U without ALA seems to work for acne pimples.

2. PDT with ALA works well for overgrown oil glands (sebaceous huperplasia) and enlarged pores.

Accutane and Laser Therapy/Photodyanmic Therapy

+1

Typical recommendations for any form of light or laser therapy following Accutane is 6 months after completion of a course of Accutane, or 12 months from initiation.  Wound healing can be abnormal prior to that and may compromise your result.

San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Pdt after acutane

+1

I recommend waiting 6 months after completing Acutane treatment before undergoing laser resurfacing or PDT.  Failure to wait 6 months can result in delayed healing and the development of scars.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Photodynamic therapy for acne can follow acutane by 6 months

+1

Photodynamic therapy for acne can follow acutane by 6 months. Photodynamic therapy works by decreasing the size of oil glands and their oil production and has a low incidence of scarring.

Chicago Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.