How Long Should I Wait to Get Photo Dynamic Therapy?

Hi and thank you for any time given to my question. I was on accutane for 2 months straight 40mgs for 160pound male then 60mgs the second month. My dermatologist took me off the drug for 2 months until I got looked at by another doc who dismissed my problem a blood test showed. My derm put me back on the drug I went back on for about 2-3 weeks 60mgs. Until I stopped for about a week then took 2 days more and stopped today because I worry about getting side effects. So should I wait half as long?

PDT acne cosmetic

+1

I usually recemmend waiting 6 months.

There are two ways to use PDT for acne:

1. Blu-U without ALA seems to work for acne pimples.

2. PDT with ALA works well for overgrown oil glands (sebaceous huperplasia) and enlarged pores.

Accutane and Laser Therapy/Photodyanmic Therapy

+1

Typical recommendations for any form of light or laser therapy following Accutane is 6 months after completion of a course of Accutane, or 12 months from initiation.  Wound healing can be abnormal prior to that and may compromise your result.

Melanie D. Palm, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Pdt after acutane

+1

I recommend waiting 6 months after completing Acutane treatment before undergoing laser resurfacing or PDT.  Failure to wait 6 months can result in delayed healing and the development of scars.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Photodynamic therapy for acne can follow acutane by 6 months

+1

Photodynamic therapy for acne can follow acutane by 6 months. Photodynamic therapy works by decreasing the size of oil glands and their oil production and has a low incidence of scarring.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist