How Long Should I Wait to Get Dental Implants After Extraction?

I will have two teeth extracted soon. One has an infection and it will need bone grafting. How long can I wait to get implants? Do I get both at the same time or can I wait? How long? they are one of the front teeth.

Laser/Extractions/Bone Graft/ Implants

+1

We usually wait at least 3 months for the bone to heal and the body to get ready for implant placement.  The use of an ND/YAG laser promotes faster healing with a better post operative outcome for the patient.  Of course, you would need a quality set of digital x rays to confirm the bone topography and timing for placement.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

It can be done, but...

+1

Of course it can be done, you can place the implant right after an extraction, however it is not recommended. remember that the most important part after placing a dental implant is the osseointegration process that takes place within your body. basically that first step is the must important. You must be patient with this process, first the extractions and getting rid of your infection with antibiotics, your dentist can make for you temporary teeth is aesthetics is a concern, and then if necessary a bone grafting and then after 2 months the placement of the implant and then after another 6 months, the placement of the abutment and crown. That would be the step by step process, however you can try doing it all at once and wait to see the results because you mus remember there is nothing definitive in dentistry.

German Arzate, DDS, MS
Mexico Cosmetic Dentist

Implants

+1

There is a lot of different routes implants can take.  You can have them placed immediately after an extraction if its a front tooth but if you have severe infection or bone loss a graft may be totally  needed.  Then it depends on the size of the graft and type.  It could take 2-6months of healing of the graft prior to implant placement.  

Anthony J. Rega, DDS
San Ramon Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Patience is a virtue with implants

+1

Sometimes they can be done all at once, but if not then there is a waiting/healing period.  A general rule of thumb is 6 months, but in some cases you can start in 3-4 months.  It really depends on the area of the mouth and type of bone graft used.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implants can be placed immediately after extraction.

+1

The ideal time to place an implant is immediately after the extraction.  The extraction site needs to be able to support this implant and help achieve good primary stability.  This means that there needs to be ample bone and soft tissue to accomplish this, or bone and soft tissue can be augmented during the surgery to allow for correct bioengineering.  If implants are going to be delayed it is common to wait anywhere from 3-4 months.  The longer you wait the more the bone melts away.

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Getting implants after tooth extraction

+1

If the infection can be minimized first with antibiotic, it's possible to have teeth extracted, remaining infection cleaned out, bone graft and implants placed all at once, provided there is enough bone beyond the roots of the teeth to engage the implants.  Advantage of doing this way is everything will heal together so you save time and the end result which are crowns on top of the implants will look much nicer.

Michael Firouzian, DDS
Columbus Cosmetic Dentist