How Long to Wait for Breast Augmentation Revision?

I am 3 months post-surgery and my right breast has bottomed out. How long do I need to wait to fix it, and what are the risks involved?

Revision Breast Augmentation

+1
You should wait until your body fully heals from the previous surgery. This usually takes about a year or so. The risks are the same as with your first surgery, however it can be more difficult to achieve the aesthetic improvement you want. Because surgery can be traumatic to the body, the decision to undergo any procedure should be taken seriously.

Timing for breast implant revision

+1
It is best to wait at least six months following your breast surgery to consider a revision.  That will allow for most swelling to resolve and the skin to stretch.  It will lead to a higher likelihood of success than if you were to rush back to the operating room in the early postop period.  Good luck.

David Stoker, MD

Breast Implant Revision Timing

+1

Although there is no scientific study regarding this situation, I like to wait 9-12 months before performing this type of revisionary breast surgery.  This time frame will allow for both implants to “settle” as much as they are going to (so that we see the final results) and it also allows for capsule formation that will be helpful in capsulorrhaphy (internal repair).  Make sure you have confidence in your surgeon and see many before and after photos of patients with the same problem.  Experience is key for revisionary breast surgery.

+1

What did your surgeon state in regards to revision? Standard time frame is 3 to 6 months. But you could not or did not post a photo or give enough medical information to advise accurately. See your chosen surgeon. 

Bottoming out implants

+1

Dear memphis8199,

It is discouraging to hear about your result.  I usually wait 3-4 months post op to revise issues that you are describing.  Problems related to your revision include but are not limited to recurrence of bottoming out, bleeding, infection, pain, injury to your implant, asymmetry, anesthetic risks and goals only partially met.  Keep in communication with your PS.  Remember you are both on the same team with the same goal.  Good luck

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Bottoming out

+1

If you are three months post breast augmentation and you are bottoming out already, then you may very well need a revision.   I usually have patients wait 4-6 months before performing revision surgery.

Breast Augmentation Revision Timing

+1

It should be sufficient enough to have your revision.  The problem with doing it too early is that the capsule may be super thin and trying to suture things up to support the implant may be a problem.  With the use of Strattice, the results have become more permanent.  But there are still risks involved and they are pretty much the same as your first surgery.

Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with breast revision surgery.  You really dont want to keep having surgery on your breast. 

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

You can have revision now

+1

The position of the implant will not improve with time and waiting may make the revision harder. Please discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

When to consider breast implant revision

+1

For matters such as size issues, we feel it best if you wait six to twelve months to be certain that you are indeed unhappy with the result. If the implant is low and out of position it is reasonable to address the problem sooner as it is very unlikely to improve on its own. The risks of revision are the same as the breast augmentation the first time around, small but risks never the less. In the short term you can try an under wire to support the lower fold.

peterejohnsonmd

How long to wait for breast augmentation revision

+1

This may depend on what your tissues are like, how you have healed, what the problem is, and how the surgeon would want to fix it.  I think waiting at least 3 months and often 6 months is better, in that the tissues have softened and you will not cause the healing tissues to undergo more inflammation.  If the technique of fixing the "drop out" or bottoming out involves either suturing the capsule or dissecting a new subpectoral pocket (and closing off the old pocket with sutures), then a better established capsule may hold the sutures better and increase the success rate with this revision. If revision was utilizing Strattice (the unfortunately very expensive Acellular Dermal Matrix material that adds strength and support to the repair), then this would be less likely to matter.  Examination by a board certified plastic surgeon would better evaluate your tissue characteristics, the extent of the probelm, and the technique of repair and timing that would be best in your case.

Robert M. Grenley, MD