How Long Do I Have to Wait Before Getting a Larger Chin Implant?

I had a mini neck lift and chin implant 3 days ago. When I woke up from anesthesia, I looked at my profile and thought "Not enough projection!" My PS had recommended I go with a large (extended silastic implant), but I freaked out and asked for a medium. I should have shut up and trusted him. Now that the swelling has peaked, I look in the mirror and STILL too small. I want something larger that goes 1 mm shy of the lower lip. How long do I have to wait before getting a larger implant?

Timing of Chin Implant Replacement

+1

The decision about getting a new chin implant is largely based on your certainty that you really want it. I would give yourself a minimum of 6 weeks or until you are completely healed before making a final decision. That will allow all swelling to be completely gone so you are certain during the replacement that you choose the right sized chin implant.

Possible revision chin implant

+1

Your question is a very good one and very practical.  It is very common to scrutinize any post- surgical result with great intensity.  In fact, its quite natural!  I would suggest waiting on making any decisionm for at least 3-4 months.    You may be surprised that you find it quite acceptable after all.  The key is not to make any rash decisions.  If, after several months have gone by, you're still not satisfied with the projection that may be the time to revisit this. 

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait before revision chin implant

+1

Many advise 6 months before a second operation. In all cases the chin and surrounding tissues must have no swelling and have returned to their preoperative softness and sensation. While you wait, remember that you look better than you did preoperatively. Depending on your precise situation you may want to try injectables to make up the difference. There are temporary and permanent options. 

Good luck

Dr Perry

Curtis Perry, MD
Agoura Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon