How Long Do I Have to Wait Before Labiaplasty Revision Surgery? (photo)

I had a labiaplasty done 4 weeks ago. I'm really displeased with the results to say the least (not enough of tissue was removed over all, the labia on one side is twice as fat as the one on the other side, the whole thing just doesnt look symmetrical at all, there are parts where the skin is just hanging there). How long should i wait before the revision; should i consider laser procedure this time around; and are the revisions normally costlier than the 1st time procedures (i paid 5,000 )

Waiting for a labiaplasty revision

+2

No attempt to revise you labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure. You had a trimming labiaplasty with a very asymmetrical result. Your appearance will be better in five months, and the swelling will be less.  You need to control your anxiety and wait.  The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction.  I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago.  You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one more good chance to reconstruct you so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Sincerely,

Dr. Gary Alter

Revising labiaplasty

+1

shouldn't be something you jump back at.  As long as there is swelling and distortion, it will be difficult to be accurate with what is done during the revision.  Your own doctor should have a revision policy but if you do not intend to see him/her again, consider a surgeon well versed in this procedure.  While not technically difficult, judgement must be superior or bad things will happen again. 

Costs will vary with regions but fees for this procedure done in the office under local does not exceed $2000.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labiaplasty Revision

+1

From your picture it looks like your left labia is well done, while your right labia still has excess skin and will need a revision. Your revision can be done right away. I would not recommend a laser, but rather to make use of a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with labiaplasty. While it may be slightly more expensive, an experienced surgeon will ensure that the procedure is done correctly. Prices for the revision will vary from doctor to doctor.

Jaime Perez, MD
Labiaplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Asymmetric Labia Minora 4 Weeks Post Surgery

+1

I am very sorry you are going through this.  It appears you had the trim technique which has an increased change of both asymmetry and uneveness at the outside edge.  I prefer the wedge resection technique.  There is no surgical advantage of laser over standard labiaplasty.  If you are not going to return to your primary surgeon for the revision, I would seek out a Board Certified plastic surgeon experienced in labiaplasty surgery.  Once you have chosen a plastic surgeon you feel comfortable with and can trust, then he or she is the person who will answer the question as to timing of the revision.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Revision after Labiaplasty

+1

Only 4 weeks after labiaplasty the tissues are still swollen and have a lot of changes to go through before you can appreciate the final result.  That said, after another 6 weeks or so you should start getting a good idea of how things are going to turn out.  Before any revision surgery is contemplated the tissues need to mature and soften again so this could take up to 6 months from the time of your original surgery.  Make sure to keep your scheduled follow up appointments with your surgeon so s/he can track your progress.  If you are considering getting a second opinion at any point make sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who specializes in this procedure.  Glad to help...RAS

Ryan Stanton, MD

How long to wait for a Labiaplasty revision?

+1

4 weeks post-op on a labiaplasty is way to early to consider any type of revision. The genital area, particularly the labia are very prone to swelling and persistent fullness. I would tell you to continue to take ani-inflamatory medication, gentlle heat may help with the swelling and support. There really is no difference between the regular procedure and laser procedure. Good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon