How Long Should I Wait Before Going to a Theme Park After I Have Rhinoplasty?

Sun and fun after Rhinoplasty

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

I would wait at least 6 weeks

+1

I can imagine you do not want to miss an exciting trip to a theme park. If you are planning on going on rides you should probably wait about 6 weeks after the surgery. It is important to avoid sudden blood pressure increase which can lead to unnecessary bleeding. You also should remember about applying sun screen on you nose. After the rhinoplasty procedure the skin covering the nose is extremely sensitive and you do not want to end up with sun burn and sun damage. You do not want to compromise the results of your surgery. Also being in a huge crowd before you are totally healed will expose you to potential trauma and injury and potentially spoil your results

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Six to eight weeks

+1

It depends on the type of work done and whether bony and tip suturing were done. 6-8 weeks seem to be a safe range.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and if you were my Rhinoplasty patient I would ask that you wait at least 4 weeks and 8 would be better IMHO.  

Timing

+1

One of the concerns is the sun exposure. Six weeks is the standard for intense sunlight exposure. The other concern is trauma. The nose is stable at six weeks for routine activity.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

+1

What I recommend could be completely different than your chosen surgeon. I recommend at least 4 weeks to 6 weeks. Ask your surgeon. 

Time after a rhinoplasty before going to a theme park

+1

When you can go to a theme park after a rhinoplasty will also depend on what you plan on doing there. If you will be engaging in vigorous rides that also have the potential for you to hit your nose, you may want to wait around 6 weeks. For less vigorous rides, plan on around 2 - 3 weeks particularly to minimize the risk of spontaneous bleeding. Of course, you should ask your surgeon what he/she recommends as he/she did your surgery.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Rhinoplasty instructions after surgery

+1

Dear nmjd11

Relaxing at a theme park a few weeks after rhinoplasty seems fine.

Just remember to avoid the following:

1. Avoid strenuous activities for the first weeks and gradually resume 
  2. Avoid sun exposure or excess heat
  3. don't wear sunglasses or heavy glasses without discussion with your surgeon
  4. protect your nose from trauma (especially for the first 6 weeks)

Best wishes

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Theme Park after Rhinoplasty?

+1

I would suggest you wait at least 2 weeks before you expose yourself to the acceleration/deceleration/ bumpy rides that can happen at theme parks.

Theme park and rhinoplasty

+1

Going to a theme park after a rhinoplasty is certainly possible after about 1-2 weeks. You will have swelling you may even have some residual bruising, but as long as you do not hit your nose against anything, it is probably ok.