How Long Should I Wait Before I Decide to Go Bigger? Or Will Results Improve In Time?

It has been 7 days since my BA. I got 300cc in the left & 320cc in the right. I was hoping for a moderate to full C cup (coming from a 34 small B). Soon after, I felt I had gone too small. I noticed this is a common complaint among most women after their BA. Am I being impatient? Will they "drop and fluff" in a few weeks? If so, how much? Right now, I look like a small C. If I decide I would like to go bigger, how long should I wait for a 2nd op? Can they enlarge same implants in me?

Breasts too Small after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Yes, I think you may be somewhat “impatient”.  It may take at least 3 to 6 months for you to see the results of the breast augmentation surgery;  breast implants do tend to “drop and fluff", sometimes making the breasts appear larger as they do so. 

There are both physiological and “psychological” reasons to wait on having  revisionary surgery. From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling,  tissue contraction,  skin redraping,  implant shifting etc. come into play.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period"  during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about. For example, it is very common for patients to feel that they are too big or too small;  severe emotional swings can also occur. Obviously, it is best for patients not to be making important decisions while they are experiencing these emotional “ups and downs”.

Having revisionary surgery too soon exposes patients to additional risks both from the physiological/anatomical complication standpoint as well as from the psychological/patient satisfaction standpoint.

I would suggest that you have as much patience as possible and continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Implant revisions

+1

Usually one should wait at least 4 months before undergoing a revision surgery on the breasts.

How long to wait to go bigger

+1

I make my patients wait 3 months, because by that time the breasts settle soften and the skin actually grows. You will have more square inches of skin on your breasts after 3-6 months than you have now. When implants are placed under the muscle they are compressed and look smaller than sizers of the same size placed in the bra before surgery. I always place 30-50 cc more in my sub-muscular implants than the sizer the patient choose to adjust for this. Yes saline implants can have more fluid added. But if they are already at the manufacturers reccomended max. it will void the warranty and make them harder and more spherical. But I have some patients that want that.

Dr Foster

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon