How Long to Wait Before I Can Get Back to Cross Fit After Breast Aug?

I was an avid cross fitter, about 5-6 days a week, how long should I wait before I can start doing push/pull ups and heavy weightlifting again?

6 week minimum wait

+1
After three days, you can start normal non-strenuous activities. No exercise, but you can leisurely walk around. After three weeks, you can start lower body training and light cardio workouts. Avoid impact-based exercises for at least four weeks.

At six weeks you can start upper body strength training, but make sure to start off slowly. Don't be jerky in your movement at first.

+1

Every surgeon has their own set of rules and beliefs. Most of us agree that you should not do any heavy lifting more than 10-15 pounds for the first 6 weeks. It is a scientific fact that scars do not have their maximal strength back until the 6 week point. I do not allow patients to do strenuous upper extremity or pectoralis exercises for at least 3 months. Now, I know this is not realistic but you will find many Plastic Surgeons that tell patients they should never do pectoralis exercises ever again. The reason behind this is that the pectoralis muscle will contract and force the implant off to the side. Over the course of many years of this action the implants will slowly displace towards the armpits. So, give yourself a few months before you really start back but consider the effects that heavy pectoralis lifting can have on your implants long term.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Hello

+1

In our practice we like to tell our patients to wait 6-8 weeks before lifting anything over 10 pounds. You can work out you lower extremities at 3 weeks but nothing using your arm muscles.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

Exercise and breast augmentation

+1

I usually have patients wait 3-4 weeks after breast augmentation before starting aerobic exercise  and then waiting 6-8 weeks to begin rigorous weight lifting or training.

Cross Fit Exercise after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource to answer your questions regarding postoperative recovery.

In my opinion, very strenuous activities such as cross fit ( at least those exercises involving upper body) will need to wait  at least 2 to 3 months after breast augmentation surgery. Certain exercises such as pull-ups, push-ups, burpee's,  pectoralis flies… activate the pectoralis major muscle and can potentially cause implants to move too far to the side.

Return to exercise following breast augmentation

+1

Every doctor has his/her own protocol for resuming strenuous activity following surgery.  You should check with your doctor for his/her recommendation.  In my practice, patients can resume strenuous activities again after three weeks for almost any procedure that I do. 

As far as weight lifting, I tell my patients that implants placed behind the chest muscle push the chest muscle out into the breast.  In effect, this chest muscle is now part of the breast.  For that reason, you want it to be soft and pliable, not tight and toned.  I advise them to minimize exercises designed to tighten this muscle.  Another reason for this is that the chest muscle tends to exert an upward and outward force on a breast implant.  Over time, this may result in the implants migrating laterally into the armpit which is not a good look.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD