How Long Do I Have to Wait Before Applying Gel on my Scars From Lipo?

How Long Do I Have to Wait Before Applying Scar Get to Help Fade my Scars from Lipo?

Timing for Scar Prevention treatments

+3

I recommend to my patients to start as soon as the suture knots are removed, usually at 10-14 days. At that time you can start putting on the scar  gels or silicone strips. I find them helpful in speeding up the scar maturation process especially in olive or darker skins, Asian,  African American, Mediterranean, and Hispanic populations  as well as  those that have a history of bad scarring populations which have a higher incidence of scar hypertrophy or keloids

Liposuction and scar gels

+2

Liposuction scars are minimal and heal well and inconspicuously.

If preferred, scar gels may be used as soon as the sutures are removed.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction incisions

+2

I often do not prescribe a specific post-op incision regimen because most incisions heal fine without any specific care except for a good moisturizer.  

Scar creams after lipo

+1

Liposuction incisions are generally very small and tend to fade very nicely for most patients without any additional intervention.  If scar creams/gels are desired, I would wait until the incisions are completely closed. 

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Check with your physician regarding your postoperative care after liposuction.

+1

It is always best to check with the physician who did the procedure for recommendation for post operative care including the use of scar creams and gels.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Scar Treatment

+1

I tell patients that scar treatment can begin as soon as the incision is healed. Topical agents may, or may not, be benficial but are not harmful. No one agent has been shown to be better than another.

Kenneth P. Gilbert, MD

Liposuction scarring

+1
Liposuction scars are very small and will fade over a year to become almost invisible so unless your scars demonstrate hypertrophy I do not see a reason to treat them with gel. You have to accept the fact that a scar is the natural consequence of a procedure and that gel will not make it disappear.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Scars from lipo.

+1

I assume you are referring to a scar treatment gel such as scarfade, prosil, mederma,, silicone gel patch etc. I ask my patients to wait until  the scars are no longer crusted or peeling. In other words the skin looks intact and smooth. Generally at about 3 weeks postoperative . That being said , the scars from lipo heal so well that they rarely require any intervention with the application of any products. If you are motivated, and find it easy to get in the habit of applying something , it certainly can shorten the time it takes scars to fade.

Cynthia Poulos, MD
Northborough Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and scar creams to help with scarring

+1

Once the scabs and incisions are closed completely (typically a week after surgery) you may apply scar cream/gel. I highly suggest Bio Corenum scar cream, it works wonders!

Leonard Hochstein, MD