How Long Do I Need to Wait After Having Surgery to Correct Pectus Excavatum to Have Breast Augmentation?

Hi, I am a 33 yo that had a modified Ravitch procedure 3 mo ago to correct severe pectus excavatum. The pin that was placed during the procedure to stabilize my sternum has just been removed & now I'm considering augmentation to help look more normal. I still have what looks like mild PE (I havent had an updated CT yet to check my Haller Index)& I am almost an A cup.My understanding is that the bone heals in about 2 months post pectus surgery and cartilage in a yr. How long should I wait for BA?

Breast Augmentation and Pectus Excavatum?

+3

Congratulations on having undergone the procedure to correct severe pectus excavatum. I would suggest that you wait approximately one year after the modified Ravitch procedure  before undergoing breast augmentation surgery. I think allowing this time to transpire will allow your chest wall to stabilize and give you and your plastic surgeon and unchanging starting point ( to plan your breast augmentation surgery).  Also, waiting this period of time will allow your surgeon to follow you and ensure that there have been no complications related to the Ravitch procedure.

When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast Augmentation after Correction of Pectus Excavatum

+1

Hi there-

The most qualified person to guide you with regard to the safe timing of breast augmentation is going to be the thoracic surgeon who performed your Ravitch. I would not even think about surgery until and unless he/she gives you the "thumbs up". 

Because the last thing you (or your surgeon) would want to do at this point would be to jeopardize the healing of your sternal repair, and because implants can place a significant stress on the chest wall (at least initially), don't be impatient or surprised of your surgeon tells you it is best to wait a significantly longer time period than 2 months...

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation after Ravitch Procedure

+1

Please confirm any recommendations that you get with the thoracic surgeon who performed your Ravitch Procedure. 

It is likely that you will have to wait a full year.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast surgery after pectus correction

+1

You should ask the surgeon who did chest surgery when your are stable for the breast surgery.  Donald R. Nunn Atlanta Plastic Surgery.

Donald Nunn, MD