IV Sedation for Unrelated Procedure Before Tummy Tuck. How Long Should I Wait?

I am getting bunions removed from my toes. IV sedation, 4 toes being worked on. how long should I wait after this surgery to have a tummy tuck?

OK to proceed with Tummy Tuck when you are ready

+2
There is no relation between your foot surgery and your Tummy Tuck EXCEPT for your potential inability to walk for a while. I would have the Tummy Tuck when you can freely walk. Painful walking would significantly reduce your activity after surgery and raise your risk of blood clots (DVT) and blood clots to the lungs (PE). Ask your Plastic surgeon how he feels about it. Dr. Aldea

Timing of tummy tuck after unrelated surgery (bunionectomy)

+1

You may want to discuss this first with your podiatrist/orthopedic surgeon. Other concerns relate to your period of immobilization and some advise waiting 2 months between surgical procedures involving prolonged intraoperative time or immobilization.

Timing of elective tummy tuck after bunionectomy

+1

Be candid with the PS who will perform your tummy tuck.  Dr. Aldea is correct in pointing out that the development of clots in the calves or pelvis is one of the greatest risks of tummy tucks.  If your ability to walk is limited by post-op pain, your risk will be greater for development of clots.  The agents used for IV sedation are for the most part, rapidly eliminated and should not affect your tummy tuck anesthesia.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

IV sedation for unrelated procedure before tummy tuck.

+1

Sure if OK with your Plastic Surgeon. But what minor procedure are you getting done? It all depends upon the minor procedure. From MIAMI Dr. B