How Long Must I Wait After Removing my Wisdom Teeth to Start my Impressions?

In my consultation I didn't get to ask directly how long it would take after getting my wisdom teeth pulled before I could get my impressions started. I know a blood clot forms and I would not want to ruin any healing process after this. The lady in the office was unsure as to how long I'd have to wait as well. She said the suction wouldn't be good for it.

How long to wait before invisalign impressions after wisdom teeth

+2

Usually a few weeks until the socket starts to close over.  If you do it too soon you can cause the loss of the clot resulting in a dry socket.  It may also depend on whether you had a surgical extraction or simple extraction as to how long you may need for healing.  I would consult with the dentists who is taking the impression. 

Philadelphia Cosmetic Dentist

Wait 7 to 10 days after a wisdom tooth extraction before having impressions

+1

You should wait at least 7 days before having impressions taken after wisdom teeth removal or any extractions for that matter. The reason is twofold. One of the reasons is what you brought up. A blood clot forms in the extraction sites and this is the first step in the healing process. The clot takes about one week to fully mature. The suction from an impression prior to this will remove the clot nd cause severe pain known as a "dry socket" and will delay the healing of the socket. Secondly impression material can get stuck in the extraction socket and if left may cause an infection. There should be no real reason to have impressions prior to this under normal circumstances. Trust me you won't regret it

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Impressions after Extractions

+1

2-4 weeks is a pretty standard time to wait until impressions are taken.  Then you can be sure the healing process is underway and that there are no problems.  

We definitely want to take it easy the first 2-3 days after an extraction, especially if you're over 25.  This is another reason why it is recommended to remove them at a younger age, as soon as your dentist feels like it is time.

If the blood clot is dislodged, dry socket and pain usually follow.  This is the body's way of telling us it is not healing properly.  So take care those crucial first few days!

Justin Mund, DDS
Fort Worth Cosmetic Dentist

Wisdom Teeth Removal and Impressions

+1

Removal of wisdom teeth is a uncomfortable process.  There is no need to rush to take an impression unless you are in a hurry for a restorative process.  The first week or maybe up the second week you are going to be very tender in the third molar area.  You will experience pain from the impression.  I would say, if your not in a hurry, wait till the pain has resolved and swelling is gone.  If you are in a real hurry for impressions for a dental reason, I would wait about 5 days. 

Anthony J. Rega, DDS
San Ramon Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon