I had an infection. How Long Do I Have to Wait After Implant Removed Before Getting New Ones Placed Back?

I had to have my implant removed do to an infection in the arm pit incesion (infection did not spread to implant or pocket they removed it for safety - how long must i wait to have new implants placed back in (this time under the breast crest)

Replacement of Breast Implants

+1

In general, if a patient desires to have her breast implants removed and not replaced, she should wait 3-6 months to allow for normal wound healing and then consider a breast implant replacement if needed as the compressed breast tissue will allow for an increase in breast size after explantation.

Replacing implants after an infection

+1

Fortunately, infections are rare after breast augmentation.  When they do occur, they can require treatment with antibiotics and local wound care for superficial infections, or even implant removal if the implant is involved.  The time frame for replacement of implants is somewhat controversial.  Most board certified plastic surgeons prefer to wait a minimum of three months, with many waiting up to a year.  Prior to replacement, the following are mandatory:  adequate treatment of the infection, thorough wound healing, and resolution of inflammation.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Replacement?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your complication.

Replacement of your breast implants will require judgment  by your plastic surgeon. If the breast implant and or pocket were absolutely not involved with an infection that we augmentation can be done relatively soon. If, however there was any involvement of the breast implant and or breast implant pocket I would wait at least 6 months ( and closer to one year if  possible)  prior to re-augmentation.

Again,  there are no absolute rules in this situation. Your surgeon will need to make a judgment call based on the findings observed at the breast implant removal operation.

In general, it would behoove you to be as patient as possible.

Implant removal for infection

+1

If the infection involved the implant I would have a higher degree of concern.  I would wait at least 3 months after the infection was completely resolved.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Replacement of implants

+1

Replacement of implants after an infection can take place once the infection clears up and the tissues have softened. This usually  means that you have to wait 3-6 months at a minimum. 

6 months

+1

Most surgeons wait about six months to replace implants if they have been removed due to infection.

Brian Klink, MD
Vacaville Plastic Surgeon